• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

1 bun ..............or 2.......?

bumble1

Warren Scout
Hi

I am the happy owner of my 1 bun Bumble & am now wondering if I should have 2 so that when I am at work he has company.

I have had him now for nearly 2weeks & he is nearly 10 wks old.

The big "potential" show stopper is my hutch size - would it be suitable for 2 buns? (3ft 4 in wide, 3ft 1 in tall - 2 storey & 1ft 9 in deep).

Any thoughts are very much welcome.

Claire & Bumble xx

rabbits like to be social, so i think this is a great idea!
i would advise getting bumble neutured first to stop fighting, and then you can get a bun of oposite sex.
at the moment i am looking to get a husbun for my midnight, she was spayed a couple of weeks ago and then in 3 weeks we are going to see if she likes a rescue bun called magic!
this is the little guy we want to get - http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=9902 :D

I may be being a bit dense here but I dont think that hutch will be big enough for two rabbits when they reach adulthood-

My pair has a double storey 5ftX2ft hutch.

Does your hutch have a permenant run?

No it doesnt - Bumble goes out most of the days at the weekends & for a couple of hours each night after work (this will be longer in the sumer nights)

I'd always have two rabbits, they're social and need company of their own kind.

Could you not get a larger hutch/shed/playhouse? My lot live in a playhouse and it cost me less to buy then most hutches! It has more potential for using the space in different ways too.

Oh no - I am confissed now............I couldnt really afford to buy another hutch, I know i would like company for Bumble but I definitely do not want them in too small a hutch.
:(

I don't really think that hutch is big enough for one adult bunn :?

The RSPCA reccomend 6ft x 2ft.

Are you saying your hutch is a double storey 3ft hutch which is less than 2ft wide? Im not sure Im reading the dimensions correctly.

No its 3ft 4 inch wide- this is the surface with the doors in, 3ft 1 in tall (which is 2 storeys) & 1ft 9 inch deep. (sorry no ggod with dimensions:oops: )

I think it sounds like a no for 2 buns.....................:cry:

that's not big enough for one adult bun in my opinion - I have an average lop in a 4x2 double which I often think is too small for her, and the problem is the stairs and hole for them take up so much floor space - really you're better with a 2x5 single hutch space-wise.

that's not big enough for one adult bun in my opinion - I have an average lop in a 4x2 double which I often think is too small for her, and the problem is the stairs and hole for them take up so much floor space - really you're better with a 2x5 single hutch space-wise.

I agree.

Claire, maybe you could think about getting Bumble neutered when he is about 6 months old, and then get a new hutch and a friend then. You probably wouldn't want to get him a friend until he's neutered anyway.

You could sell the hutch as suitable for guinea pigs and get a hutch and run combo- you can get a great happy hutch one on ebay for about £110.

Thank you all for your help guys...........think Bumble will be solo for a while longer & then when he gets bigger I will have to upsize him............maybe get a MUCH bigger hutch & take that as an opportunity to get another bun xx:?

I agree.

Claire, maybe you could think about getting Bumble neutered when he is about 6 months old, and then get a new hutch and a friend then. You probably wouldn't want to get him a friend until he's neutered anyway.

You could sell the hutch as suitable for guinea pigs and get a hutch and run combo- you can get a great happy hutch one on ebay for about £110.

Thank you Mandy (sorry I take ages to type!!) think that this is what I should look to do, I just feel bad for Bumble now.....but is the right thing to do xx

No its 3ft 4 inch wide- this is the surface with the doors in, 3ft 1 in tall (which is 2 storeys) & 1ft 9 inch deep. (sorry no ggod with dimensions:oops: )

I think it sounds like a no for 2 buns.....................:cry:

Yeah thats what I thought you meant. He and a companion will certainly need a larger hutch, infact he alone will when he is grown.

Maybe it gives you a chance to get saving ;)

Thank you Mandy (sorry I take ages to type!!) think that this is what I should look to do, I just feel bad for Bumble now.....but is the right thing to do xx

Aww don't feel bad, he's probably only small now so its ok for the time being, and how is anyone to know better if thats what pet shops sell x

Back