• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor housing for two big buns

Squishybunny

Warren Scout
Ok, there are probably a trillion threads like this previously around, but can't find them at the mo applogies.

I have two largish lops, that I would like to bring in to the house to live. They currently reside in a luxurious three level hutch with a 4' run attached. They spend from 6.30am-8.30pm having the run of all the levels and attached run. At night they are confined to the top two floors.

I don't know what the best indoor accomodation would be. I have seen lots of overgrown hamster cage type things, but don't think they would be big enough for my girls. Both my girls love their space and I would feel mean shutting them up in one of those, while I was at work.

I have also seen some dog crates, but again I just don't think they would be large enough.

It's not like these girls a giants, but I am concerned that I cannot provide them with adequet space or enterainment during the day. Although I would have more time with them if they were in the house, they would have to be shut in for 10hrs during the day and from 7hrs at nite. I would love to have them around me in the house, but think I'm being selfish. When they are outside they get to roam around their enclosure for 11hrs a day.

Will they get the same quality of life if I bring them inside to live. I know there are obvious benifits to indoor living, but can they out weight the freedom they have outside.

I am truely having a dilema, please advise.

Do you have an alcove/ under stairs space you could convert? Or how about attaching two dog crates together, or getting a puppy pen to attach to one?

Lots of people seem to be able to give their bunnies a whole room but I cant see how they manage it!

The layout of my house is such that I can leave Muppet in the dining room and kitchen all day (I dont think he goes in the kitchen though as he's not keen on lino). Only when I'm home with him do I open the french doors between lounge and dining room. This is fine as there are no wires or anything - luckily for me his chewing is directed more at soft furnishings so it's not occurred to him to chew the dining table or chairs. (This had better not be famous last words :rolleyes:)

Otherwise most people seem to have a 'hamster cage' or dog crate with a pen attached. Maybe that would suit you? My gut feeling is that if your bunnies are used to lots of space, they would find it hard to adjust to being in a cage by itself. Of course they would adjust but you'd feel mean!

our bunnys have a room but it also doubles as the utility room (i.e washing machine, tumble drier and clothes hanging from a pull down thing from the ceiling......they don't seem to mind the noise too much ands it's only once a week. No wires for them to bite and no furniture to chew. I do need to make sure I have all buns present and correct before turning on the washing machine though.

my bunnies have thheir own room :oops: it used to be my room (smallest bedroom of 3 bed house) then when my sister moved out to lifve with her partner i got the bigger room and eventually the uns got their room :D :lol: although it doesnt double up as anything :oops:

my bunny has pretty much the entire top 2 floors of the house

my parents are never home, theres basically no wires (even though he doesnt chew)

and its all open space, he loves it

bounces around like a mad man

I would consider a dog crate and pen idea as I have quite a large living room/diner. I'd also like to have them romping around the house, but they still need a space of their own.

Does anyone think they would react badly to having lots going on around them. They are naturally really nosey and usually watch me garden and mow the lawn, they even srutinised the builders when they rebuilt my garden wall. We arn't a noisy household as there is only myself and my Bf.

Has any one got any photos of their indoor set ups???? I'd be really interested to see how other people have designed their rabbit enclosures.

When our two bunnies were inside they had a dog crate with 6 panels attached to create a larger play area, which they had access too all day whilst we were at work. We covered the carpet with big pieces of cardboard as they liked to chew at the floor!

Back