• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit insurance?

Hi everyone! haven't been on here for a while. Moving house and stuff!!

Anyone got rabbit insurance. I'm looking for some and since i got four bunns i think it might be a good idea. I've just had a look and haven't found much so i thought i'd ask if anyone had any!!

I would suggest, with having 4 rabbits that you may be better setting up a 'vet fund' putting the money you would spend on insurance aside each month into an emergency account for the rabbits.

That way your not paying out 4 lots of insurance which ties money to each individual rabbit. Furthermore many insurance companies will not cover some expensive areas of rabbit medicine, such as dentals, and this way you can soend your money on any treatment needed.

As I've got two dogs as well, I just put the buns on Pet Plan, they give multi pet discounts too. I've not had to claim anything yet for the rabbits (though I may do for Tank's current problems), but my rottweiler popped his cruciate ligament in feb and so far the vet's bill is up to 2750 - Pet Plan's paid out for that without quibble and direct to the vets. So far I can't complain about them at all :) £60 excess for the rabbits, and one rabbit was £11.70 a month - not found out how much I'm saving for two yet.

According to the petplan leaflet I have here:

Rabbit 3 years, Nottingham £10.86

Rabbit 1 year, York £6.71

Angora 6 months, Bath £8.08

British Giant 2 years, London £13.16

Havana 4 years, Swansea £9.14

Varies by breed, age, region and previous problems.

Covers £2000 vet fees
£250 hospitalisation (if you are in hospital and they need care)
£250 to find lost rabbit
£25 voucher towards health check and vaccinations

They wont insure bunnies over 5 years or under 8 weeks.

Last edited:
Very interesting! Don't get me wrong i know pets are expensive but i just had a quote for my youngest bun and it was £8.41 so the rest seeing as they're slightly older will be more expensive>:? I know they do a discount for more pets but i'm sure if i'd sooner take out a loan if the worst happens or use the rainy day fund!

Why don't they do bunns for £4.00 a month like they do cats!!

Mine isn't insured yet (planning on looking into it too!) but my 2 cats are insured with Argos who have just started doing insurance and theirs was a really good deal with the most comprehensive cover and the cheapest for about a fiver a month each. I guess they do bunnies too. I review my pet insurance every year and so far I have moved every year as someone else has come up with a better deal cheaper for my cats.:)

Mine isn't insured yet (planning on looking into it too!) but my 2 cats are insured with Argos who have just started doing insurance and theirs was a really good deal with the most comprehensive cover and the cheapest for about a fiver a month each. I guess they do bunnies too. I review my pet insurance every year and so far I have moved every year as someone else has come up with a better deal cheaper for my cats.:)

Yeah i got a quote from them for my kitten, although we havent done it as yet. Im afraid Argos (just like so many other insurers) only insure cats and dogs :?

Well according to my petplan I pay £16.50 or. £8.25 each a month for two rabbits. One is two and one is one. lol. I got two months free at the begining of the plan.

That covers each £2000 vet fees, 250 for boarding/kennels if I'm hospitalised. 250 for advertising and reward and 750 for complimentary treatment. Physiopherapy, behavioural etc.

I'm now tempted to take one to a behaviourist lol.

I imagine the price goes up by area depending on if your area is high in myxi etc maybe? Or if you're vet charges more, since they ask for your vetinary practice?

Back