• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Arthritis

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
As I have mentioned here

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=103341

Maggie has quite advanced arthritis in her hips/knees and Lumbar Spine :cry:

All my previous arthritic Buns have only really displayed signs of generalised stiffness and loss of muscle tone due to them being less mobile.
But with Maggie she is showing real distress :cry: tearing at her hips and biting her tail :cry:

Our Vet has prescribed Metacam, Physio + Massage and Glucosomine + Chondroitin. Maggie also has Ranitidine to try to prevent the Metacam causing a Gastric Ulcer. When her pain is very bad she also has an opiate pain killer.

I have never seen an Arthritic Bun show such obvious signs of pain and am looking for advice from anyone who has.
Did the affected Bun have good days aswell as bad ?
Where any other treatments helpful?

It is so upsetting to see Maggie biting at herself :cry: Only the opiates seem to give her sufficient pain relief. Metacam alone does not.

Any input from people who may have seen similar symptoms in a Bun would be much appreciated. Maggie is still eating but is obviously not a happy Bunny and I fear I may have to let her go in the next few days

:cry: :cry:

Janex

Last edited:
Hi, I'm sorry that I can't write what you want to hear. I have had one rabbit with arthritis, a long time ago, and she did not show the distress you describe. She was unflexible, but didn't seem to mind this.

I have had a rabbit in pain that no medicine seemed to alleviate, so I am very sympathetic and sorry for you watching helplessly. I can't believe that nowadays there can be pain for which there is no medication, but it seems to be the case. Writing this though, it occurs to me that the only relief that my Granny got from her arthritis was from acupuncture. Don't know if they can do it to rabbits, but if you are getting desperate it might be worth looking into (can't imagine HOW they would do it to a rabbit either).

My thoughts are with you as you try to make these horrible decisions on what is best, and gentle nose-rubs to Maggie

Hi, I'm sorry that I can't write what you want to hear. I have had one rabbit with arthritis, a long time ago, and she did not show the distress you describe. She was unflexible, but didn't seem to mind this.

I have had a rabbit in pain that no medicine seemed to alleviate, so I am very sympathetic and sorry for you watching helplessly. I can't believe that nowadays there can be pain for which there is no medication, but it seems to be the case. Writing this though, it occurs to me that the only relief that my Granny got from her arthritis was from acupuncture. Don't know if they can do it to rabbits, but if you are getting desperate it might be worth looking into (can't imagine HOW they would do it to a rabbit either).

My thoughts are with you as you try to make these horrible decisions on what is best, and gentle nose-rubs to Maggie

Thank you. My Vet is also an accupunturist and this treatment has been mentioned. But Mags is a Bun that gets quite stressed and I am not sure she would cope with the treatment. Although I have heard many people say how their Pets have become incredibly relaxed after accupunture. But they were all dogs and we all know how different Rabbits are from other domestic pets.

I guess Maggie may be yet another Bun we cant make better :cry: :cry:

Janex

I had a bunny with bad arthritis. She was very inflexible, and had really bad muscle wastage to her back legs, spine and hips. She would sometimes fall over and be unable to get up without help.

I have never seen an animal bite themselves from the pain of arthritis though, so I don't know what to suggest. :cry:

Are you sure arthritis is the only problem?

Amy

Are you sure arthritis is the only problem?

Amy

My Vet says it is. Maggie's joints certainly feel arthritic on examination. Her hips and knees are thickened and her knees 'click' when extended. Her left knee is also hot to the touch.

I think Maggie is biting at the area that hurts most, ie her left knee.
She seems more comfortable at the moment having had the opiate pain relief.
But obviously it will be a life of very poor quality if she is as bad as this all the time and needs such strong drugs to control her pain :cry:
I would not push her on if that were to be all her life was like :cry:

Janex

Back