• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Straw

toadflaxbex

Warren Scout
I know some people have mentioned not to use straw, but I went to my buns this morning and their fur just felt really cold so I want to give them huge amounts of bedding. Is straw an absolute no no shall I just stick to hay?

Nothing wrong with using straw at all....just make sure its Barley straw as this is nice and soft. I have always used it instead of sawdust.

Do you have a wilkinsons near you? They do a nice soft straw- Russell rabbit.

I think its just big bales are a bit sharp and coarse.

Straw is fine to use - I always use if for bunny bedding during the winter months as I find it is better for the buns to build big 'nests' with.:D Then once they have finished their 'nest', I put in some hay for them to munch on while in bed.;)

I use straw but not sure what kind it is. It is a very light golden yellow colour and ever so soft. I buy a huge bale froma local farm for £1.

I use barley straw on top of newspaper in their litter boxes, then put hay in one corner of the box. If the straw is really nice, they even like to eat it. And it does not irritate their (and my) eyes like wood chips or sawdust do. Another nice effect is that the poo falls through the straw to the bottom of the tray. And yes, it feels warmer than hay, probably because it has more hollow space inside the pieces. My bunnies prefer to sleep on bare wood or stone, though. :rolleyes:

I use it in litter boxes too.....Hay is too scarce at the moment for them to be peeing on it!!

I use the nice soft Barley Straw for bedding and in litter trays too, with newspaper in the bottoms of the litter trays. Like BV, I put a nice pile of hay to munch on in the corners! Russel Rabbit does a lovely soft Barley straw, and Jolleys do as well.:D

Oh I put the hay next to the tray so they can reach over and eat it (we use shallow trays).

I get XL Pettex Blaes from petplanet.co.uk but Wilkinsons own brand straw used to be very good too (not used it for a while as bags are too small for us).

I've never used straw - they get a bundle of west wales hay twice a day, roughly thier body size, and they eat the good bits and shovel the stalky bits backwards as they go to make a bed (and keep their bums dry too) By clean-out day their litter trays (which are about 2' long, so pretty gigantic) are so full of unused hay I feel sorry to bin it all - they look so comfy but it's yucky wet megazorb underneath it all :roll:

Back