• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

fox

anamaria

Warren Scout
i know theres been a fox around for a while now but hes only just discovered the buns :? some of the plant pots on the wall near the bunnys had fallen off yesterday then this morning i went downstairs just about to go and feed the buns and saw the fox walking towards the buns, i scared him off but alfie and charlie were not happy when i went out. :( any suggestions on what i can do or get to stop the fox coming back, i know it wont be able to get into the run a hutch but i dont want it scaring my bunnys anymore. :(
thanks

TBH there isn't much you can do to stop the Fox coming back :cry:
They are VERY determined and now it knows your Buns are there I would not *personally* feel happy about the Buns being outside, no matter how secure the hutch/run.
Do you have a shed the hutch could be moved into? Or a garage *not* used for a car?

Sadly just seeing a Fox can be enough to kill a Rabbit, they can die of heart failure due to fright or go into a 'panic' and severely injure themself.

I would urge you to take your Buns indoors if no shed/garage is available

Janex

yes I'd get them out of there too - imagine a fox (very strong animal) scrabbling, clawing, chewing at the wire for hours - just that alone could frighten them to death, even if it can't reach them.

My hutches are covered like this at night, plus I splash disinfectant around to hide the rabbit smell - I'm hoping a fox won't bother, as there's nothing to see, plus it's all weighted down with bricks and there's a big heavy run against the hutch facing the garden. I wouldn't sleep otherwise :?

nighthutch.jpg

Sorry for highjacking your thread but just a quick question. If i get a little tool shed with double doors on that I'll padlock shut at night so that foxy loxy can't see the buns (not that i've ever seen one round us) do you think they'll be ok?

If you don't have a shed maybe a security light that will come on if something triggers the sensor, that should scare it away as it will think a human is approaching. Not sure but could work?

i can't remember who it was but someone had these wooden shutters they put up on the mesh at night so nothing could see in or out. Also watch out a fox can't tip the hutch over :? .

Sorry for highjacking your thread but just a quick question. If i get a little tool shed with double doors on that I'll padlock shut at night so that foxy loxy can't see the buns (not that i've ever seen one round us) do you think they'll be ok?

Yes that would probably be fine, they'd need a box or small hutch inside to snuggle in though. Don't get a metal one though- too hot in the summer.

My OH got home late last night (or should I say this morning) and ran straight into a fox coming down our garden path :?

The night before we woke to hear a vixen screaming too.

Not impressed. Have to go and buy extra padlocks and hutch covers tomorrow now. :rolleyes:

We have a security light and although my buns wouldn't be able to see a fox we did have 1 in our garden last year and the security light made the fox go :)

i can't remember who it was but someone had these wooden shutters they put up on the mesh at night so nothing could see in or out. Also watch out a fox can't tip the hutch over :? .

the fox cant get to the hutch to tip it over, this is my set up.
P101006422.jpg

i've got a wooden blind over the front of it now, originally to stop the sun making the hutch to hot, but i think it would be difficult to cover the whole thing.
was just looking at the repellents you can put in the garden, has anyone ever used them and know if they work, also can you use them it you have a dog? it doesnt say anything about pets on the websites. :?

was just looking at the repellents you can put in the garden, has anyone ever used them and know if they work, also can you use them it you have a dog? it doesnt say anything about pets on the websites. :?

I'd think they would effect a dog as the fox is in the dog family. But I do not know for sure.

I have a hutch with wooden shutter on ... and I cover even them over at night and they aren't allowed run access which is on the bottom level of their hutch and thats got a shutter on to. I weight everything down with bricks to. I know foxes used to live behind our garden - but I havent heard them in months which is more scary :?

Back