• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

hiya!!!!

emandden

Young Bun
hi im new on here and came for a bit of advice.on sunday we found a baby bunny in the middle of the road.she wouldnt move when we shooed her away so we bought her home.ive been getting advice from a lady over the phone but dont want to keep harassing her for advice so decided to come on here too.
the bunny is a little girl 3-4 weeks old.she was very weak and dehydrated when we got her.i took her to the vet and am now giving her lactol 5 times a day.she has a mite problem which is being treated but they are still all over her.is there any way i can help get rid of em quicker.??as they seem to be over the house and we are a bit itchy now!!!and any other advice would be great to help this little one back to health
thanks emma
bunnypic.jpg

Awww poor little thing. Sorry i do not know much about mites. I give mine dettol dips and it gets rid but that is for static mites all i have ever had to deal with and with the young one being weak and young i would not advise it. You could try introducing a bit dried food as at 3 weeks they start weaning.. Giving lactol is great though full of nutrients.

I hope all goes well lovely little thing it is

is there anything i can use in the house to get rid of the mites???do i just put normal bunny food in to start weaning or grass etc.....

Have you tried contacting any wildlife places that may be able to rehabilitate her to release her into the wild?
Sarah who fosters for Emma at Furryfriends often deals with wildlife and may be able to give some advice - her email is on her website http://www.sprogpages.co.uk/ (go to Animals needing homes and Adopting from us and her email is listed in the first little section)
As for the mites (it's probably lice if you can see them though), if the vet treated them I wouldn't use anything else as treatments like Ivermectin can be fatal if overdosed. You could try a fine flea/nit comb to brush out any though

Hmm in the house i know there are like shake and vac powders but i think that is just for fleas not sure. Really not sure what to use just keep cleaning until they are gone. Easier said than done. but if you do get something for the house probably won't do any good i would just keep cleaning little ones bedding and hoover regulary emptying the hoover bag. Until they are nearly gone then treat the house with something.

Just a good dried rabbit food in a little bowl and it will nibble at it hopefully. Lots of hay to so it will pass through its gut nicely. Now the debate on greens. Some peopl give small quantities but others leave alone as it can disrupt the gut so young. Plus with giving lactol the odd now and again they could get a mucky bum and grass/veg would just make it worse so i would just stick to. Lactol main diet, small quantities of food and plenty hay to chew on.

OH! also a little water bottle/bowl as it should start drinking water to now

Good luck
X

Last edited:
Awww adorable... I do know that bunnies tummies are meant to move very frequently therefore it is very important that they poo, have you spoken to the vet about this? Also I know that some people stimulate the area in order to get baby bunnies to wee..... not sure if the same could be done to get a baby bunny to poop.

Can the vet not give you anything for mites?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

She should poo :shock: ...She may have some bloat which is why she wont be pooing. I would take her to the vet and they should be able to give you something to move her stomach along. Also you can buy infacol which you could give to her which will help break up the gas in her stomach.

If she is with you for a long time until she gets her strength up and has become really friendly - to be honest i would not set her free in the wild. She is so young and to be she would just get eaten by a fox or hit by a car or something.

Only my opinion though. If this is a life that can be saved then i would do that.

Hayley
xx

P.s She is georgous!!!

Oh dear no poo. i know baby rabbit poo is tiny but you should still be able to see it. Hs it had a wee?

If you have some infacol you could give it a dose 0.5ml will do no harm as it could be gas and should get its tummy moving again. Is its tummy bloated or make sloshy sounds?

Just noticed she has been with you since Sunday???? I would definatly get her to the vet as if she has not poo'd since then, something is up.

i took her to the vet on monday and she had a full check up.he gave me drops for the creepies.she has been weeing and there was a couple of poos but thats it.her tummys not bloated or making noises.will get some infacol later for her.to be honest i dont want to release her into the wild.would be a shame to work so hard to keep her alive and then shove her out to get eaten etc.we all made a pact when we picked her up that we will do everything we can to get her healthy again.is there anything else i could use in case i cant get infacol??

I dont know at what age mum stops doing this but certainly with baby bunnies they need to be stimulated to go to the toilet.....try wiping her bottom with some damp cotton wool and a little pressure.

I would just get infacol you can get it at any chemist it is in the baby section. It is around £2.99

Give the little one 0.5ml every 4 hours.

It should not need to be stimulated to go to the toilet now that is just at the early stages, it should be going itself now.

At the end of the day she's a wild animal - if she can be rehabilitated by a professional then she'll be able to live her life out naturally. OK, there's the chance she may be eaten or injured but that's nature! You can't take in every wild animal because they 'might' get hurt or killed and IMO it's far crueler to keep an undomesticated pet in captivity if there is another option. If there is no choice then I can sort of agree with it being done but I think it should be a last resort :?

Just thought.....when we have had babies here by 3/4 weeks they are starting to wean and the first thing they try is always hay.....has your little one got access to hay, a lack of fiber could also cause gut problems.:?

Also rabbit tummies SHOULD be making noises, but barely audible unless you put your ear to them/use a stethascope. Did the vet tell you it was silent or is it just you cant hear anything?

Silence is a sign of stasis and means the gut has stopped moving.

In all honesty I think little bunny should have another visit to the vets.

hi

are you certain she has mites....if you can see them they are not going to be mites but likely to be fleas or lice with the exception of harvest mites but these are very visible tiny orange things in little clusters.

most environmental flea sprays which you can buy over the counter from the vet will kill any fleas or lice etc in the environment.

Back