• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Escapist!

Kovu is in a 5foot x 2-3foot open top pen in my bedroom, and over the past 2 days he has escaped 4 times!!! This is bad for him in SO many ways, he has to jump on top of a 1mm pen rim, then jump on to the floor, sometimes catching his leg, also my room is not bunny proofed and there are so many electrical wires that are turned on, plus when I catch him its so awkward cos Im panicking to catch him quick and I usually dont grab him properly so Im probably hurting him that way too. Plus the fact Ive got a cat! OK shes scared of him but still if she felt threatened...
Any suggestions what I can do? I need the pen to stay open top as I need easy access to walk into the pen as the curtians and fish tank are behind it!
I'm a bit short on funds right now, otherwise Id go straight out and buy him a Rabbit 140 or something! I did think of putting a dog crate inside the pen and shutting him in it when Im at work, and possibly at night time, as these are the times he seems to escape! But due to the pen being so small Im very restrticted in size and could probably only fit a 30" one which obviously isnt suitable for being shut in around 9hours!
I do have an opening front Rabbit 100 cage that guinea pigs are currently in, if I do some cage shuffling, would a rabbit 100 cage be ok for him to go in for around 9hours?

I would just loosely peg a net over the top and unpeg it when you need to reach the curtains etc.

Great, tonight, because he couldnt escape, he decided he would spend all night rattling at the bars of the pen!!!!!! Hes driving me crazy!!! Why did I ever decide to put him in my room?!
Wish I could afford his shed now!

ohhhh i remember that well..... 1 week of cage pinging from 5am when we went to visit the inlaws..... i was going loopy!!! next time im taking ear plugs... you have my sympathy

Its so annoying isn tit lol.
But I dont wanna get up to tell him off/stop him as thats giving him the attention he wants...but then if I just pretend to ignore him it drives me crazy!

lol try earplugs.. might save your sanity... i tried letting Alvin out over night and it was worse, i could hear him under the bed destroying it!! lol cant wait till xmas when i get the pleasure of his company in the bedroom again :(

I had to get up at 2am this morning to feed my hamster as he was chewing the bars of his cage! I feed him to keep him quiet (his in the living room but i'm in a one bed flat). As i was feeding Bisto (hamster) the bunnies got excited because they thought it was their breakfast time! So for the next 4 hours they were rattling their dog crate bars!

haha cant win can we!
To get Kovu back to his cage when he escapes, I feed him...which probably encourages him to do it more cos he knows he';ll get fed after :roll:

Hes a cheeky ****** lol
Twice this weekend I'll come home from work, go upstairs and find him in his pen, I'll tell him hes a good boy. Then next time I turn round, hes out his pen!!! :roll: :lol: So I'm not gonna tell him hes a good boy anymore, see if it makes a difference! lol

I have an escapologist for a bunny too, I had Petey and Jess in a 4ft x 4ft pen in a spare bedroom and he was always jumping out when i wasnt around, I couldnt let him have free roam in the room as he shared it with another bonded pair at the time who had their own run which was attached to the side of a dog crate.
I had no option but to put a top on the pen.

I you need to reach over to other things then use a lid that is easily removed. On top of mine i had a fixed piece on one side made from a wooden frame and had chicken wire pinned to it and for the removable part, which i needed to lift for feeding, cleaning etc i got a piece of green wire fencing (from wilkinsons) and tied it on one end and then just bent the wire as a sort of clip so i had easy access. I originally started off with just a piece of expanding trellis but he chewed a hole big enough for him to get through and jumped through it:evil: :lol:

Back