• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New rescue bunny....Frenchie with 'issues' (sorry, probably v. long)

Tank's_Mum

Warren Scout
Hi all,

First, let me apologise for the length of this post....it's long-winded but I wanted you all to get a good picture of what I'm asking about :oops:

We picked up our new bunny today, a French Lop who's around 4 months old. I just want to run a few things by you to get your opinion :D He's very different to Tank, in ways we didn't expect (and obviously in ways we did).

Today's obviously been very stressful for him, not least because our house smells of two large carnivores (dogs), another intact male rabbit (Tank) and two people he doesn't know. He was described by the rescue as being very friendly (and I don't doubt for a second he's certainly got a lot of potential for being a loving bunny), but out of everything it's us humans he's scared of. And I don't mean in the usual "I don't know you, I'm wary but I've been around people before" sort of way. When we got Tank at 8 weeks he was definitely wary, but no more of us than anything else strange in his new environment. And he very quickly decided we were great, and now chases us, kisses us like crazy (kisses almost as much as our dogs) and is more than happy to fall asleep on us.

Our new bunny, on the other hand (not decided what to call him yet so he's just called 'Bunny' for the time-being), is reacting to us as if he's been abused. What's even stranger is that he's far more scared of me than of my partner. I know the person he was rescued from was a female breeder, and I know there's some concerns he was neglected (certainly grossly underweight when rescued), but I've no evidence of physical abuse. I know at this point you're probably thinking I'm expecting too much from him on his first day, so I'll clarify a bit...

...we've obviously given him plenty of space and peace and quiet since being home. He's been allowed to run around when Tank's out of the way and has made a lot of effort to wander around marking things (not spraying, chinning). He's also decided my female bulldog (who Tank adores) is wonderful - I'd originally intended to leave him a few days before properly introducing them, but she's so well behaved I allowed her to stay in the same room. When Tank came home it took a good week before he wanted to sniff her and basically kept out of her way but Bunny went straight over, sniffed, allowed himself to be sniffed (she generally can't be bothered to get up to do this with either of them and Tank spends a lot of time climbing over her or sitting on her head), and sat next to her. He's shown zero fear of this large predator, and has accepted her far quicker than Tank did. He's climbed on much of the furniture, worked out how to get in and out of his 'observation' hutch (in the lounge with Tank's but not his sleeping hutch - only a temporary thing to get him used to being around us but keep him safe)....he's even trying to litter train himself even though he's not seen a litter tray before and, although I put it down for him, I certainly didn't expect it to see any use for a week or two.

Yet if we sit quietly and he comes hopping up, he freaks out at a slowly outstretched hand, refuses to take treats (though I just managed to get him to eat a bit of carrot from me), and generally behaves in a way that makes me think he's far more comfortable being in close proximity to a dog than an unthreatening human. My partner has done better than I have so far in that Bunny's shown more interest in hopping up to him, and has even managed to receive a sniff or two!

The other thing is he's not hiding in corners or cowering anywhere - he's happy to lie on his side, even when only a few feet away from my bulldog, he's had a roll or two in his sawdust and is generally more than happy to explore and flake out on the floor (it took Tank about 10 days before he was comfortable enough in his new home to lie on his side....or, as he's doing now, on his back :rolleyes: ). The only thing he seems to want to do is stay away from people, and though he's hopped up a few times he shows absolutely no interest in us (but has happily sniffed my bulldog all over).

I honestly don't know what to think. I'm not assuming this is his usual behaviour and it is his first day, but on the other hand he's fine about things that Tank certainly wasn't at this stage and terrified of things he really should only be wary of (does that make sense?). I know he was kept outside with siblings by the breeder he was rescued from and I know he was underweight when rescued.....would he be able to associate a female human with negligence, or would that be a bit too much for him? Could he be projecting that onto me where he's a little better with my partner? Obviously we're both being extremely patient with him and want to help him settle in and get over this fear he has.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts you have on this. He'll be neutered as soon as the vet allows, so if it's just adolescent stroppiness that's being aimed at us in particular it should be sorted out then. But I was interested if anyone else had experienced anything similar - where a bunny seems terrified of people but totally relaxed and happy in every other way (rather than cowering in a corner and scared of everything) :?

Thanks in advance! x

Edit: just wanted to add something. He's got a ledge in his 'observation' hutch and about half an hour ago he fell asleep on it, lying on his side but far too close to the edge. He's just fallen off...literally, seemed like he poured himself off the edge. It's not that high and he's got a deep layer of sawdust. But even so.....did this panicky rabbit freak out? Did he even wake up? No! He just stretched all four legs and stayed asleep, this time lying on his back. I mean, honestly! It's hardly the behaviour of a generally nervous bunny! :rolleyes:

Edit #2: sorry, just keep thinking of things to add....

....he's producing a ton of caecotrophs, and not eating them. I saw how much hay he had at the rescue (apparently he eats like a racehorse) and he's certainly munched a ton tonight. He's also on pellets, but has mainly just thrown them around the hutch rather than eat them. I asked about dental problems and apparently when the rescue had his myxi jab done they briefly checked teeth and all seemed fine, but obviously I'll get this properly checked when he gets the snip.

....he flinches if stroked. While we're not doing that much, I've rubbed his nose while he was eating a bit of carrot and even though slow, gentle and I didn't creep up on him he still flinched. Even the worst rescue dogs I've had haven't done this, not just from being gently touched once or twice.

D'you think I'm right in assuming he's had virtually no human contact? :cry:

Last edited:

D'you think I'm right in assuming he's had virtually no human contact? :cry:

Yes!!

One of my Rexes, Hal, came from a Breeder who picked him up by his ears :cry:
Almost 3 years down the line Hal is still head-shy :cry: Made worse by the fact he has very poor eye-sight.

I think your Bunny will just need to be allowed to accept you on *his* terms.
He may never be a very human orientated Rabbit but you can still give him a happy life.

With regards to Bunny being better with your O/H - do *you* wear perfume?
With Hal I have come to learn that I cant expect to get near him if I 'smell different'. He has got used to 2 perfumes I use but if I try a new one Hal freaks out :shock: :(

Good luck with Bunny

Janex

Congratulations on your new rabbit :) I think you're expecting too much of him too soon and time plus neutering should hopefully sort out most of what you describe. I would start from the beginning, and start to build up trust - after all why should he trust and like you, he doesn't know you! Let him come up toiyou on his own time, offer titbits etc and take it slowly. When I had Pippa, aged 2 years, she was terrified of me, but now comes up happily for dandelion leaves and nose rubs, but if I try to pick her up she hates it

:( i have to agree with jane..bif is a perfect example also..and the rescue said she was friendly..and i know gem said she was but being in the state she was when rescued poor baby..and shes terrified of men.shepanics if she hears a male voice outside even..and weve had her over a year now.
her soft poo probs have never beeen resolved..and petra said seeing as shes got stress trauma probs it probably never will.
i love her on her terms and at one point after 6 months she did start to interact..but when oscar died she returned to what she was at the recuse i guess.
everynow and then shell reward you with a tease of of interaction then panic and off she goes..or shell let you stroke her..or like lat week approach me and stand on her hind legs and let me give her a nose rub and pet!
be patient..too much too fast makes it harder too.

I bred a German Lop buck and sold him to fellow breeder at 10 weeks old. About 13 months later the breeder asked if I'd have him back as he was given up on the breed, so Arnold came back to me. When i first got him Arnold was obedient, he would be picked up and wouldn't struggle, but you could see he hated human contact, he wouldn't let me stroke him and flinched when touched. The gentlemen who hasd him befoore was an 'old school' breeder, so probably man handled Arnold a little bit. I spent weeks with Arnold, talking to him through the wire, holding my hand out for him to come and sniff it, before progressing to rub his nose (which he loves) and stroke his body. He now is super friendly and loves nose rubs, although I still have to be cautious round him - if I just reach straight in and stroke his body with no warning he'll flinch. I have to give him noserubs first.

I got a new doe at the beginning of September, shes 5 months old and came from another breeder, on her arrival I was told she was skitty and horrible :roll: Again, I've spent time with her, and she'll let me stroke her back 2 or 3 times then shes off. This morning we made real progress and she thrust her nose at me wanting it rubbed and I must have stood there for 5 mins doing that :D To get to this stage has taken 3 weeks.

Give him time, hes only a baby and obviously feels that a dog and sofa etc are far more interesting than you! :lol: Good luck.

Hi all, thanks for all your replies. I suppose I was approaching this from the perspective that a dog would be scarier to a rabbit than a human would be, and Tank certainly conformed to this for a week or so. As I said before, if he'd been behaving in a generally scared or wary way I'd be fine in understanding him, but because he's so relaxed in ways I wouldn't expect at this stage I'm more concerned about the things that freak him out.

We've finally renamed him - only stayed up until 5:30am to decide on a name :shock: :D @ His new name is Saxon.

Jane - no, I don't wear perfume. Both me and OH wore deodorant yesterday and today. He freezes more when I'm speaking than when OH does - normal volume voice and when I'm talking to anyone/thing other than him.

Kayjay - I never expect any new animal to like or trust me for ages, and if he'd displayed general nervousness/hiding in corners/scared of the dogs/not lying down etc I wouldn't've even posted on here about it (other than to say I've got a new bun). It's that his behaviour didn't (to me) appear to be normal wariness.

Purplebumble - I'm glad to hear you've experienced rabbits who distinguish between men and women - I thought I was going mad! :lol: I do wonder if maybe the rescues assume the rabbit's friendly when actually it's just terrified and frozen? I would imagine for a rescue with a lot of bunnies it's difficult to give them enough one-to-one attention to really determine their personalities.

WalnutEarth626 - I can only go by my experience with abused dogs as I've never had an abused rabbit before, and flinching to me is very different to cowering. Cowering can come about through either physical or verbal attacks, but flinching usually means physical's definitely happened (in my experience, anyway). I have no problem with it taking weeks or months to make any progress with Saxon, but it's interesting getting other people's opinions and experiences with similar situations.

So far today I've had a nose-butt off him, but he's not sniffed me yet. He hasn't been out either as I'm trying to leave him to settle more without him worrying about having to flee out of our way if we happen to walk close to him. He's happy to turn his back to us when lying down, so he's not on constant guard, and he's cleaning himself fine. He's not even come close to biting or nipping. He is, however, drinking an awful lot of water, more even than my dogs. He's had more carrot, and it's still the only treat he's interested in eating out of my hand. Thanks again for the help - if you think of anything else, please let me know. I never normally get stumped by animal behaviour:? :D

I bred a German Lop buck and sold him to fellow breeder at 10 weeks old. About 13 months later the breeder asked if I'd have him back as he was given up on the breed, so Arnold came back to me. When i first got him Arnold was obedient, he would be picked up and wouldn't struggle, but you could see he hated human contact, he wouldn't let me stroke him and flinched when touched. The gentlemen who hasd him befoore was an 'old school' breeder, so probably man handled Arnold a little bit. I spent weeks with Arnold, talking to him through the wire, holding my hand out for him to come and sniff it, before progressing to rub his nose (which he loves) and stroke his body. He now is super friendly and loves nose rubs, although I still have to be cautious round him - if I just reach straight in and stroke his body with no warning he'll flinch. I have to give him noserubs first.

I got a new doe at the beginning of September, shes 5 months old and came from another breeder, on her arrival I was told she was skitty and horrible :roll: Again, I've spent time with her, and she'll let me stroke her back 2 or 3 times then shes off. This morning we made real progress and she thrust her nose at me wanting it rubbed and I must have stood there for 5 mins doing that :D To get to this stage has taken 3 weeks.

Give him time, hes only a baby and obviously feels that a dog and sofa etc are far more interesting than you! :lol: Good luck.

Just thought I'd update this to say we made even more progress last night, Delilah let me rub her ears and stroke her body for ages, she was completely relaxed and you could see her thinking 'this is rather nice actually!' Really chuffed :D

Excellent news, WalnutEarth626! Patience pays off, I guess :D

We've got a bit of an update too, of sorts. Don't know if anyone has any opinions on this....

....Saxon's behaviour towards me and my OH has become even more different. With me, he's happy to eat veg from my hand and is perfectly fine with both of us stroking him in his hutch. With my OH, though, he won't take the veg. However, it's been necessary to lift him a couple of times (had hoped to avoid it for a while) and with my OH he's absolutely fine. With me, though, he freaks out - and I mean I literally rested my hands on his body with virtually no pressure and he went nuts, yet he's allowed me to stroke and check his feet. I'm honestly not being paranoid, he's got a real issue with me in particular making a move to lift him. Don't get me wrong, Tank wasn't keen on being picked up at first and I expected a certain amount of panicking from Saxon but he really does go nuts. All very strange.

Hi :wave:

My previous girly bun was scared of humans when I first got her, she was found as a stray so had no history on her.
Like Saxon she wasn't scared of objects and seemed to like other animals but was scared of us, she would run away or cower if you tried to stroke her.
On the plus side she adored my other bun and over months/maybe even a year she got to trust us a lot more, she sadly passed away last year but she was the most snuggly bunny you could have by this time, even nudging for attention and fusses.

It's very early days yet, my tips for the future would be when he is used to a certain room, preferably a small one like a hall way or kitchen spend time in there with him but just ignore him, sit on the floor read a book, lie down and if he approaches just let him nudge and climb on you without reaching out for him. Then work with his favourite treats by trying to interact with him.
My girly bun used to walk around us watching us fuss her partner, she seemed amazed that he accepted us.
You may find as the trust grows he'll have a certain area that he'll let you fuss him on, like a rug or certain corner of the room, my girly bun used her litter tray.

It can take a long time and I'm sure there will be many tears of fustration along the way (or maybe that's just me :) )

On the gender note, my Millie wasn't used to males she stamps her feet at my husband when he speaks and it's always his feet she nips :)
We've only had her 2 months so she's still settling down, she loves me though :D

Yes!!

One of my Rexes, Hal, came from a Breeder who picked him up by his ears :cry:

Oh my god Jane that's so awful :cry:

My Jack came from the RSPCA via a meat breeder, he is scared of loud noises or sudden movements he pushes his litter tray out squashes himself down and cowers behind it. He's a Br Giant and has no chance of the litter tray hiding him.
Apparently the other 2 females taken from this breeder showed the same behaviour in the rescue.

We are working on it but it's hit and miss what's going to cause him to freak out, last week it was me putting my rubber glove on something I've been doing for the past 6 weeks. :(
Luckily Mille is quite chilled but sometimes Jack's behaviour freaks her out and then we have a stamping frenzy.:roll:

:oops: i had to get the gas meter reader to come aroud the other way and shut the kitchen and lounge doors and ask him to talk real quiet..poor bif:censored: if i could get my hands on the *&*#@" or "man" who terrified her so much....id give him a taste of his own medicine!
Hmm nope gem on here took care of Bif..then called leonie...and she came around ok. She was friendly i thought till i realsied she was petrified..the first pics we took of her show her body language telling us that too.
Bif got used to my half bro and was ok having him around..but he hasnt come over for a year..and she forgot him and went nuts when she heard him. female voices are higher pitched but hes got a gentle voice. mens mell diff to so maybe thats how they recognise the sex diff in us two foots.
Shes been a nosy little girl past few days and ive picked her up each day to check her bum and shes not fought me shes even realxed in my arms on her back and sniffed me...i put her down before she complains and she mellows a bit then. I have to medicate bertie at the mo with his abscess and shes sure its her im coming for..now shes realised and she waits for him to come back. With me and willow having hugs on the floor and endless nosey rubs..when willow went to bed..and bif n bertie were free roaming agin..bif begged for me to stroke her and rub her nose..i nealry melted..little moments like that are priceless. Sounds like things are improving here in scared bunny land;)

Back