• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help quick, sorrel is bleeding

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
i had sorrel on my lap and was brushing her loose fur out. i picked her up to put her back in her hutch and her front paw felt wet and i looked and it has blood on it, how on earth has this happend? what should i do??? please help :(

has she maybe caught her claw on your clothing??

try wrapping her foot in a tea towel with a little pressure until someone a bit more useful can help

Hope bun's ok

Has she ripped a claw out? It could be the quick bleeding. Apply pressure with some cotton wool or a tissue to stem the bleeding. If you have any corn flour or styptic powder that is also a good clotting agent.

aaahhh i looked under the chair i was sat on and found a bloodied claw. :( have cleaned the foot and put cornflour on. should i take her to the vets tomorrow? is there anything they can do?

As long as it stops bleeding and you keep it clean they cant do a great deal. Is the quick exposed?

Dandelion broke one of his claws a couple of weeks ago and it was bleeding quite a bit. I just checked it was clean and he sat there licking it. It was fine the next day. I'd just keep an eye on it.

i think the quick must be exposed because of the length of the piece of nail i found, but i cant get a good look at it cos her fur is long and she's not keen on me messing about with it. she's been licking it.

Poor Charlie

Charlie has pulled/broken one of his claws :cry: - so glad I found this thread to put my mind at ease, it didn't bleed much and I only noticed because he'd flicked blood up the side of the hutch leading to an inspection of both buns paws.

I've bathed it in salt water before drying it off and I'm keeping an eye on it, is there anything else I can or should be doing?

Its quite common really and my poor Bob has 2 off at the mo, I keep his claws very short but he still manages to do it. They were quite twisted when he arrived..... and the good news is.... they seem to grow back straighter after they've come off.

Cleanse and apply pressure is all you need to do, unless it really wont stop bleeding or it gets infected. They seem to dry up in a day or so, just keep an eye on it for a few days. :D

Sadly rabbits whose claws are allowed to overgrow often end up with them horribly twisted and this means they are more liable to catch.

I have to keep Pippa's ridiculously short as they grow sideways into her digits :( and I nearly always nick at least one of her quicks doing so.

I don't know how he did it because I clip them regularly, they are straight and I'd literally clipped them 2 days before. I think he may have done it whilst hopping into a wooden box in the hutch that had some timothy hay in, because thats where the blood was, I've removed the box now.

How often do people normally clip their buns' toenails? Hazel & Acorn are now 6 months old and I think I might need to start doing theirs soon.

How often do people normally clip their buns' toenails? Hazel & Acorn are now 6 months old and I think I might need to start doing theirs soon.

As soon as they look like they need doing. I check them all at least once a week and clip probably once a month.

Back