• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jamie - acting weird

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
As most of you will know I've had to split my two boys, Jamie and Kitt, up as Kitt has been injured. It's unclear what caused the injury which resulted in surgery, but the vet thinks it's down to Jamie as there are a few old healed wounds which could have only been inflicted by bites.

I am keeping Kitt inside for the unforseeable future - until a) his stitches have disappeared, b) until the vet is confident of his health and, c) until his coat starts to grow back. Obviously this means Jamie is now outside in the massive happy hutch on his own.

I'm worried about him, last night I put in loads of extra hay and a blanket with their snugglesafe wrapped inside - and he appeared ok this morning. He is still eating and drinking and, although he is generally quite a moody rabbit, he appears more so today.

When Kitt is better I plan to have them both outside in adjacent hutches - I'm not taking the risk of putting them back together, and I can't afford another 2 rabbits to keep each of them company - so I am hoping the fact that they can see each other will be enough until my situation changes (i,e when I graduate from uni and move to Bristol with my other half - which is in about 7 months time).

Can anyone suggest anything else I could do for Jamie? I cover his hutch on a night with Tarpaulin, does anyone think i should already put a blanket under it? As he is now on his own?

I hope no one thinks I'm being cruel, Jamie will still get alot of attention - I will be having him out for cuddles and a run of the kitchen every morning and night when it's feeding time. Obviously Kitt will be getting more of my attention at the moment as I have to ensure that he is pooping, eating and drinking - also administering his medication.

It seems to me that you are doing everything that you should do. I wouldn't worry too much about Jamie at the moment..if he's been biting and bullying Kitt as looks likely then he probably prefers to be on his own anyway. I think as long as you put in extra hay for him he'll be fine. I'd delay putting a blanket under the tarpaulin until the frosts start.

Thank you Hilda =]

I still can't get my head around the fact that Jamie could have done this. According to the vet whatever caused Kitt's injury has also gone through muscle - can a rabbit do this?? I'm completely baffled. I've only ever seen them fight twice - and that was well before they were neutered. They were completely bonded... I just don't understand :cry:

I'm sure he'll be fine - my 2 singles seem happy as neighbours. I cover the hutches with rugs even in summer though, just to put foxes and kids off, and I have a see-through shower curtain stapled over the door mesh on the hutch as there's plenty of air from the stairwell. You could always get him a soft toy to bully - Benny was a bit funny with me when Pepsi died as they're just not sure about changes - he'll get used to it in a couple of weeks :)

Back