• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First night outside, but not eating much

Debs2811

Alpha Buck
Hi
Ive been in the process of having to move my house buns outside over the past few weeks, the last bunny, Twinkle went out yeaterday. all the others have seem to have adapted very quickly and are doing fine (although I still worry about them but thats all part of being a bunny mummy)

All the others are eating and carrying on as normal but Twinkle hasnt seemed to eat any pellets that I fed her with last night, she was always the one I would have expected to have a little trouble with, shes been through alot having 'rescued' her from a petshop where i think she was too young to have been taken away from her mum as she was very tiny when I got her but she was fine once i put her on to pellets and off of the museli which she was being fed, then she has a bad eye infection which took many weeks to clear, then she found love with my dear little louis only to loose him after 18 months:cry: Anyway since loosing Louis she did become a bit more skittish and she isnt one for cuddles and prefers to be left alone as more handling only stresses her out. anyway back to my point...... she has had a little bit of cabbage and some carrot, its difficult to tell what hay she has eaten as I put lots in the hutch to keep her warm.

She was eating normally when she was living indoors, im assuming it is just the stress of the change has anyone else had similar their experience with their bunny?

Mine took about a fortnight to settle down as it's so noisy outside compared to in the house - noises we don't even notice as they are familiar will freak them out if they are nervy buns, plus all the smells etc. She'll probably be nibbling hay - if you give her some fresh in a box you'll be able to tell if she's been digging about in it.

Thanks Elve, shes obviously showing her cheeky side as Ive just been out to check on her and when im not looking she darts in and grabs some hay to munch but when im looking shes just sitting there predending to be poorly bun:lol: think shes trying to play on my soft side and if i think shes not eating perhaps shes hoping ill bring her back inside :lol:

Shes just polished off a whole cabbage leaf pretty quick and i just caught her with her head in her pellets bowl haha caught out!!!!

I think i may have solved part of the problem anyway, i think its the bowl, as she is in a hutch now and has less space than she did in the house i changed to a small china pet bowl where before she always had a double plastic dog bowl which she used to share with louis before he died, well it seems she will only eat out of the plastic double bowl although it is a bit big for her in the hutch.

does anyone have rabbits that are picky about the type of bowl they use??

My lot will only eat out of separate bowls, they just can't share!

This works OK for us really because it makes monitoring food intake a bit better. We can't have plastic either because they throw them around:lol: .

I agree with elve, she's probably just a bit unsettled being outside.

Back