• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Trays

If your rabbit likes to sleep in it (most seem to) get a normal one....corner ones are ridiculously over priced too!

I use corner one's en found them easier than the normal one's
Al my animals use them even my youngsters

70918belle-yoep08a.jpg

and aldo my french lop used it first as a sleeping place, he now uses it right

70918hannes01a.jpg

The little tiny conrer ones are a waste of space so I have a big one and that works (but as has been said they do cost)
The normal litter tray I also have some probs with because they don't sit square against the back of my hutch so bunny has to have a damn good aim (which she doesn't!)
I have stolen an idea from someone off hear (can't remember who- so can't give you credit!) which is to use the larger plastic storage boxes with the higher sides from poundland extra.
That way they can jump in and not make a mess over the side and it also keeps their hay in place.

As they tend to back up when they wee, I've always found cat litter trays too shallow, and not big enough to put a big bundle of hay in for them without it being sat on, so I use underbed storage boxes - keeps the mess in better too

haytime.jpg

I originally had the corner ones, but chucked them out within a day or two as they just weren't big enough. I use the large High Backed ones which cost £7-£8.:
DSC01348.jpg

I chopped up an Ikea underbed storage box into 4. I now have 3 large-ish flat corner trays. They take up no space at all and are easy to clean out.

Yes, I've found that using stackable toy trays are the best (I guess using litter boxes as litter boxes is costly and ineffective) They are about three dollars (so less then 2 pounds) and they have high sides!

I have two corner litter trays. Only one is in use now though, and it works fine:D
I had a problem before that Sasuke refused to use his, he kept throwing it away, but now that he's in a wire cage instead of his wooden hutch, i was able to fasten it to the wall so he can't push it away:D Don't know what I'll do when he moves back into a wooden hutch again though.... I may get new trays for all of them, even Aroma who isn't litter trained yet :lol:

When I brought Zakura to the camp site last summer though, I made a home-made litter tray out of a water tank. :lol:
Kanin-Zakura-ferie-Steinpdagen.jpg

You can see it in the upper left corner of the pen. (Not much of a run but there wasn't room for bigger anywhere. Instead I had her out on the harness:D ) It's been strapped to the wall of the cage to keep it from falling over as it is very light.:roll:

I have to say that the litter tray of my franch lop on the foto is a cat corner litter tray that i bought for 5 euro
Al the corner litters i use for my smaller rabbits are made for rabbits and cost me 2 euro.
I haven't had the problem yet that they went over the edge with their pee.
here a foto of my castrated buck, he is the largest one (eccept for my french lop) and fits fine into they litter trays

Foto-SULXQ7C4.jpg

on the foto he is sitting in the front of the litter, so ther is still rome left behind him.
He and his wife use both only one and i clean it 3 times a week, but it works perfectly for me

I use potting trays from B & Q. Mine toilet in their bedroom compartment and these fit pretty snuggly in there. I put a small amount of wood shavings down the edges to catch any misses! They are quite a bit bigger than cat litter trays and much sturdier and heavier too. :) I think I paid about £10 for 3.

Corner one

I have a small corner one as it fit perfectly in bottom of hutch and flopsy (5 month old) has no problem with it - he backs right up into it and doesn't "go" over the sides. I also found he didn't use his plastic igloo and used to pee next to it where his hay was so I turned it upside down put shavings in the bottom along with his hay and he uses that aswell. He is only 5 months and I only started using the igloo last week and with both toilets at either end I have found he even does his poos in them as well.

Very happy mummy as there is no cleaning the floor of poos during the week just to two small trays to empty every day!!:D :D

Back