• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can Rabbits live on hay/vege and water alone?

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
The reason I ask is because Kitt, my poorly boy, wont touch his pellets but he is eating quite a bit of hay, some veg and drinking when I take the bottle to him every few hours.

I can't realy give him recovery as his scar is massage and it evidently hurts him when I handle him...

Yes, they can. Pellets are a human invention, actually to get rabbits fat as fast as possible... not for pets....
Their body has been adapted to absorb lots of low-nutrition food and get the most out of it. Pellets are not a necesity.

agreed - especially indoor bunnies as they don't need the calories - it sounds like Kitt knows what's good for him :)

=] Somethings going right, lol.

I can't be sure how much he's eating though, so I had about an hour and a bit sleep last night with worrying about him. I just wish he didn't have to wear the neck thing

He can eat them, he's just being fussy today - because I wont take his neck collar off because he goes straight for his stitches.

He's eaten hard carrot, a bit of brocolli - so Im pretty sure his teeth are ok :)

Back