• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunny hates me!

louise1986

New Kit
Hi everyone i need help with my bunny.
I got her last week and she is about 10 months old(she has been done)the only thing is i think she hates me, she never ever lets me pick her up, or give her rubs on her head/ears, i let her run around the living room all day as im in all day and her cage is in the living room as i thought it might help her get 2 know me, but when she sees me she runs the other way!ive tried giving her treat 2 but she doesnt take them
How can i tame her????
Thanks everyone

If you have only had a week don't panic! I've had bugys for over a year and she still doesn't like being picked up. She is still settling in to her new home. Try sitting on the floor and letting her come toy you, have a few of her pellets in your hand ready to offer her. When she eats them out your hand give her a little nose rub. Eventually she will learn to trust you.
Hope this helps

yeah don't worry it's early days yet :) I've had mine 2yrs and they still won't let me pick them up without a struggle/chase - it's a bunny thing - best to let them get used to you, talk quietly all the time (even if it's rubbish, it reassures them you're not trying to stalk them for prey) and sit with them rather than reaching out to touch them - she'll realise you're not going to pick her up or hurt her and get more confident :)

bonding with buns can be a slow process. They all have different personalities, just like humans and some are handled from an early age so they are used to being picked up or stroked, some have never been handled properly.

Sitting still with some food will encourage her to come to you. Bring a book incase it takes a while. When she starts approaching you reward her with food and praise. After a day or so you can then try stroking her whilst she eats the food and then see if you can stroke her without food.

People normally say you shouldn't try to pick up your bunny for the first week and I'd agree with that. When you do want to try and pick her up, only do it when you are close to the ground and look up the best way to hold a bunny to make sure you are doing it correctly. I wouldn't pick her up repeatedly for strokes either. Most bunnys prefer 4 legs on the ground and she might start to fear you if everytime you approach she knows she'll get swept off the ground. Until she doesn't seem to mind being picked up (if ever), just pick her up once a day for bottom checks

You need to be patient you only had her a week.
Are you sitting on the floor with her and talking to her, it might sound silly but it's what I did with my previous rabbit and the actual one and it worked!
I'm sure she will come to you eventually just be patient. For Tiny I spent 4 weeks sitting on the floor tried to bound with him and he ignored me but after he was following me every where
Good Luck! ;)

Why would anyone want to pick up their rabbits is still a mysterie to me... I can understand if you have babys and they get used to it from day 1, that they actually don't mind at a later age to be picked up, but in general it is just against their nature... People tend to forget they are prey-animals, being picked-up=certain death in the wild. Unfortunately rabbits have always been breth for their apperance untill now, not like for example dogs, so a lot of the "wild rabbit" has never been breth out our housebuns...

So, my advice to you: don't try to pick her up...
As the others said, don't worry ,a week is a very short time, she needs time to get used to you. Remember that you are a very big "creature" for her when you stand, so try to put yourself at her level as much as possible.

I will give you some steps here that I got from a behaviouralist for the rabbit of a friend of mine:

1/ just lie on the floor, read something, don't show to much interest, let the rabbit "explore" you, see that you are not dangerous
2/sit on the floor with pellets or some herbs and let her eat it out of your hand. While doing this, you say her name, that way she will learn her name and associate it with something nice and will come to you when you call her in the future.
3/Once she is used to eat out of your hand, give bigger bits and cares her when she allows it.
4/Go to the fridge or wherever her food is stored (she will know that by now) ,call her name and lie down on the sofa, present the food in such a way that she is obliged to sit on your belly while eating. Don't touch her!!! Once she is used to it, you can start caressing while she is on your belly. This way she will learn that sitting or lying next to you on the sofa is no danger.

You need to take it really slow with a scared rabbit, I went through these stages with mine in about 2 weeks, but they were young and not afraid.

Don't worry, I've had my buns a month now and they are only just starting to see me as something other than a giant bunny eating monster:evil: .

If you imagine the world from their prespective, you are something twenty times their size. I know I'd run and hide if I saw a ten storey rabbit coming towards me (or stop drinking gin:lol: ).

I found the best way to get the rabbits to start just coming over to look at me was to lie in the run and read quietly. Rabbits are naturally really curious, so once you take the size intimidation away they can't resist having a closer peek. You just have to resist the urge to touch. I found it really hard, as all I wanted to do was stroke them and love them.

Once they start coming to look, mine started nudging me and sniffing me. I then started offering them food.

Best advise would be to take it slow and don't expect miracles. That way all progess is a bonus.

Hope this helps

Echo all of whats been said above.
One of mine was a real baby when I had him so he has always been used to being picked up but the girl was a different story.
By the time I'd carried her to the run I looked lkie I'd been 3 rounds with mike tyson so I took a step backwards and didn't pick her up for 2 months.
In the meantime I have sat with her and also done some clicker training with her and we get along fab.
Just this week she will now let me pick her up!
Its worth it in the end but you have to be soooooo pateint

Back