• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i have a quetion

greyrabbit

Warren Scout
how ofent should u give rabbit baths.plus ummmmm how should u give a rabbit a bath.does it matter on size.these ar just random quetions.i dont no why i asked though.oh well.

You shouldnt bath a bunny :D They do a great job of cleaning themselves. If you need to clean anything off a bunny you can use a baby wipe :D

Answer: Never.
Bathing a bunny too often could cause its fur to loose its isolation abilities, also if they are not completely dry and left out in the cold, they could get sick.

Just to slighty disagree ;) A rabbit won't die just from having a bath and there are ways to make it less stressful but it should only be done in certain circumstances. For example, I'd much rather have a slightly stressed bunny to wash up a very dirty bum than one with fly-strike!
You don't need to wash them regularly but if they have a particularly dirty bum that can't be groomed out with a brush or by using cornflour (use it as a dry shampoo, or add water to form a paste you can brush on, allow to dry, then brush out) or have got a toxic substance like oil on them, you'll need to wash it off before they get harmed.
Easiest way I find is to fill a sink with slightly warmer than luke warm water (as animals have a higher body temperature to us, the water doesn't feel quite so hot to them). Have an old towel on a flat surface by the since prepared. You'll need either a specific small animal or kitten/puppy shampoo, or a gentle baby shampoo. Dip the bunny in the water only as much as necessary, keeping hold at all times (e.g. if it's just a mucky bum, dip the bum in). Gently loosen up any muck with your fingers while the bun is in the water quickly, and then pop the wet bun on the old towel. Now add the shampoo and lather up - it's much less stressful to do this on the towel than leaving the bun scrabbling for grip in a slippery wet sink. Dip the bun in the water and repeat shampooing if necessary. Then empty the water out and fill a jug with clean water. Holding bun over the sink, rinse them with the water from the jug, massaging deeply so you get all the shampoo out and don't irritate the skin by leaving it in. Then dry thoroughly with a dry towel - you can carefully use a hairdryer on a warm (not hot) settling from a slight distance away (regularly test the heat of the air by blowing it on your hand - if it's too hot for you then it's too hot for the bunny so stop) but towel-drying is usually fine, and you can get special pet towels which are more absorbant and work well. Make sure you dry them completely, especially if they're an outdoor bun.
Of course, if you have a second pairof hands to hold the bun in the water it's much easier, but this is the method I found worked pretty well when I was in charge of the quarantine room in an old petshop job looking after sick buns (and other animals) by myself!

Back