• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do I clip bunny nails?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
My bunnies nails are really long so I've decided to get some clippers and clip them. I've choosen these to buy:

http://www.bunnybasics.net/nail-scissors-p-1301.html

I was wondering if they are good and how do I clip a bunny's nails? I am going to the vets next week, but we can not wait until then as they are getting longer by the day. I think we will have to clip them once a week. :shock: They do sometimes struggle when I hold them, so how do I hold them so they can not struggle? I was planning to only do a paw at a time so it's not too much in one go. Is this a good idea?

Those siccors look fine!
Clipping bunny nails is alot like bathing a cat-it's very hard to do, you'll probobly need help and you're likely to get scratched. You'll also need patience.
That being said, here are some tips!

Clear claws are easy to clip cuz you can see the quick (the blood vessel in the nail-you don't want to clip that, they will bleed and it's painful).
Dark claws can be guess work, but if you can work near a bright light or use a flash light, and you will be able to see the quick.
If you can 'trance' your rabbit, this is ideal...Only one of mine trances...The other one, we bundle up in a towel and maneuver her so one foot at a time is sticking out to trim the nails. The towel keeps my partner from getting scratched and bitten, and keeps her a little calmer.
Hold the paw you are trimming and the nail you are trimming. If they jerk you could trim down to far, so make sure you hold firmly

Work as quickly as you can, talk to your bunny soothingly and give her treats after. Be thankful it's not something that has to be done often! (Imagine if it were daily!!!) :D :D Good luck!!

Remember that the nails of rex bunnies look longer because of the short fur. I would wait until next week and let the vet show you how to do it. It is best if two people work together. It also helps to let them run on croncrete and not just soft surface, although I am not sure how sensitive rex hocks are to that. I know that carpet is really bad for them, but concrete may be ok.

I think it's because they are only on grass or hay so they never wear down their claws. I think i'll wait until next week at the vets and he can do them whilst showing us how. ;)

I've got those type of clippers they are great :) They will look long with them being rexes, but if you start clipping just nipping the ends off you won't hurt them and they'll get used to it. How you do it depends on the bunny - If you put them up on a table they behave better, so I put Benny on a table and he just sits there very well behaved - Tia however (sadly departed nethie) fought like a wild thing with any kind of handling, so I used to sit on a chair and lay her against my stomach, so she was almost sitting on my lap but laying half on her back, if that makes sense - her back feet would then be sticking up for me to clip, and I had a hold of her front paws and chest in my left hand - my hands did really shake with her though as I hated seeing her so stressed, so it took an age :roll:

How old are your rabbits? they are unlikely to need clipping if they are still very young! but they can be very sharp, I use a nail file to take the points off them :D

Let your vet show you how to clip their claws, if they are tricky then let the vet or the vet nurse do it when necessary.

cant see the link for the clippers i use the dog nail clippers :oops: i got the vet to show me how to do it basically i was told to put them on the floor (or and safe non slip surface) with one hand behind their head on their shoulders to keep them still then just snip the ends off each nail. i also find it easier to put some food in front of them to keep them distracted :lol:

They are 11 weeks old tomorrow. They are very pointy and almost reach the ground. I'll try and get a picture tomorrow of them.

hi. i've always got my vet to do it but i bought some a few weeks back as one of my rescue buns is a rex and her nails grow fast!

Tbh, i found it a LOT easier than expected! Depends on the bun tho i guess.

Roxy is really calm so my O/H held her up on his chest while i did it and she didn't move once. was a little inquisitive but was fine about it!

I would wait to be shown though (i had been, was just always too scared to do it myself!) and then try with someone else maybe helping.

:D

I like that thought about the nail file. Kuhluha's nails are wicked sharp-they are worse then a cat's nails, but she's soo young that they don't need clipping yet! I will try to file them tonight when I get home!

Cutting crazy bunnies nails?

Does anybody have any tips on how to deal with bunnies that dont like being handled?

They need their nails clipped but they kick like mad when I pick them up. I 've been looking at other threads and Im fairly confident in cutting the actual nail but whats the best way to hold the rabbits?

It's a 2 - person job if they're difficult to handle, so I'd take them to the vets for it - won't cost much and some vets will do it free while they give them vaccs or whatever.

Bobbin is a rascal to handle, he really detests it :? And I know how you feel, I feel terrible when I have to pick him up because it must stress him out.

I confine him to the bathroom, this way he has less chance of escape and he doesn't associate his playing areas with "bad things". I find that the best way to do it is to scoop him up really quickly and turn him over, cradling him in my arms. At this speed it doesn't give him a chance to struggle. You really have to go for it, any hesitation and he's off! :roll:

Once there I give him gentle nose rubs to calm him down. I believe the trick is to have their feet slightly above their head. I use my right hand to cut the nails while the left arm supports the body and left hand holds the foot in question. Between each foot I give him a few stokes. It's easier if you van have a second person to help with the front paws as I find these are more tricky to get to with your left hand because it stops you from supporting the body. You could try laying him upside-down in your lap (I've never done this but I know others do).

I only clip the tip of the nails, never attempt to cut as close to the quick as some books suggest, Bobbin flinched once and although it didn't bleed it came very close and looked sore, just like when we break or cut a nail really close to the skin :?

Good Luck! :D

Back