• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns might have to go outside..advice please

Pipstrel

Mama Doe
Hi,

Went into lounge this morning and piper had jumped out of the run, the net(meant to keep them in) was half off and she'd shredded pretty much every piece of paper she could find!

So they might have to go outside. Is it too late to put them out if they have plenty of hay and straw etc?

What is the best hutch? A big two tier one with a nice big run for them during the day? I had outside buns years ago but a fox got one and the other died of her injuries but hopefully there are any foxes near sean's. I've never seen one just lots of cats!

No room for a shed or a play house otherwise i'd def have one can people post pics of their hutch/run combos please.

Should I get Happy Hutch to make me one or are there better/cheaper ones?

Thanks

Helen x

ps sorry for long post :?

Oh and with regards to foxes getting your buns if your hutches are made well enough they will be just fine :)

Ok, will now have to search for a good hutch and sell the indoor cage and run and outside run which is no where near fox proof, they only ever go in it when we are around.

Argh more expense!!

They're flippin expensive rabbits!

Why in the world don't you just lock them in a 48" dog crate in your living room at night? - problem solved :p

they have a nero cage which i did think about locking them in at night which is fine if i take the green shelf/house thing out, but they are out when we are at work during the day too so she could jump out of the run then and cause trouble!

Well in that case I'd get a more secure run for the house, that would be cheaper than a hutch - my piggies have a proper garden run with a lid on it in the living room, rather than the fence panel type - it folds up so it's easy to clean when I need to. You can also fix 2 dog crates together to make a larger space - just don't drop down the end panels at one end of each - fasten the panels to the roof instead with heavy duty cable ties, and then fasten the crates together with same - it would be a lot cheaper than a hutch, no worries about foxes or kids getting them, or rain - and looking after hutch bunnies in winter is no fun at all :roll:

we bumped - did you see my suggestion about an indoor run? I don't think any of the above are suitable as they aren't deep enough - a hutch needs to be 2' deep or there's no shelter, and the stairwell uses up all the floorspace in a 4' hutch - minimum size for a pair is 2x5 double I think, as there's still a good sized area of floor around the stairwell :)

Ive just had to move my bunnies outside in the past 2 weeks as Im selling my house and had to turn their room back into a bedroom, I bought a Lavender Lodge from P@H for my bonded pair and i bought my other hutches from Albanypets135 on ebay, the hutches are very similar in construction to the lavendar lodge and have the same fox proof wire.
The single buns have a 5ft 6" hutch each, i know its not the required 6ft but its very close and they seem very happy ive added extra bolts and even padlocks to the doors for extra security and im making them insulated hutch and rain covers like the scratch and newton ones.

all our girlies go in their hutches in a shed at night as there are a family of foxes in our area! but if you do have them in hutches outside good lil trick - another door! put a big door over the hutch doors! no fox could get through both!

The 4ft hutch and 18 inch height isn't enough except for guineapigs really.

I have the 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch/run from HH on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....=63513&ssPageName=STORE:PROMOBOX:NEWLIST#LIST

My rabbits are really happy in it although it's taken them a while to use the ramp (I have had to carpet it so they can get a grip!). They have access to it 24/7 except in really bad weather when I shut them in the hutch and I cover it over at night.

what about if I get a bike/tool store wooden shed thing which has two full size doors so can fully lock it up at night? then get a run to fix securely onto the side with a cat flap type thing or lockable door so they can get in and out during the day. I can then put shelves in the shed to make it more interesting for them. I can afford a full size shed would this do if they have a nice long run for all day?

Back