• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Who has giants?? I need feeding advice please. :)

toffee

Mama Doe
Hello.

I have acquired a 12 week old giant rabbit to add to my menagerie of 3 lionheads, a dutch, a dutch cross and a big ol' cross breed.

Problem is, I've never had giants before and I'm not sure how much I should be feeding. At the moment I am feeding the same amount of dry food as I would my biggest grown-up bun (who is about the same size as my baby giant). I'm also trying to introduce veg slowly on an evening and she's eating loads of hay and dried grass.

Any advice as to how much dried food to give her? I don't want to overfeed but I want to make sure she's getting enough protein and stuff so she grows properly and isn't hungry.

Any advice about feeding her and about giant buns in general greatly appreciated.

Thanks!! :D

Last edited:
Thanks!! My thoughts on it at the mo is to feed her about a handful of pellets and hope she eats shed loads of hay! I don't want her to get fat. Veg introductions are going well - no sticky bottom, a little tummy gurgling but I suspect that will calm down - she's eating and pooing normally!

Hi

I have read that baby bunnies should be fed ad lib, not sure if that's pellets though.

Can anyone else advise?

my french lop of almost 6 kilo gets almost 200 grams of pallets every day.
And ofcourse hay and green.
I think a giant should at least get 200 grams everyday, wether their joung or not

My two Frenchies have a beaker full of pellets, with readigrass in the morning, veggies and unlimited hay. At tea they have the same and more veggies :D Hay is always in their runs.

My conti giants were fed unlimited pellets until they reached 6 months, along with hay/grass/veg etc.

Now they are both over that they are fed 2 good handfuls each every evening of Allen and Page, have at least 2 hours grazing in the garden, veg for breakfast and unlimited hay:D

You can tell by looking at their changing shape from junior to adult when to pull back on the pellets :D

I fed mine ad lib until about 6 months and like BB Mommy has said you'll see them bulk out and know to start reducing them. Then they just go through shed loads of hay when they are fully grown hehe! :lol:

Back