• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor buns out?

Is it too cold to put my indoor buns outside into a newly converted shed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
Finally my shed is ready but now I am worried the weather has got too cold to move the indoor buns out?

What should I do?

Rabswood

Last edited:
I would say it's not too cold. As long as they have not been kept in a really warm house and they have lots of hay and somewhere to snuggle into in the shed.

I put my inside bunnies out recently but made sure that I had no heating on in the house and the windows in the rooms that the buns were in were kept on the latch so that it was quite cold in there too. We were freezing but it made sure that the buns wouldn't be too cold once their hutches had arrived and they could go outside. :D

I would of thought you'd just have time before the temperatures really drop.

I'm getting Billy and Emily out in a playhouse next week hopefully

Nicola

I moved an indoor bunny outside in January once:roll:
At first she lived in the storage room at school, moved her out a couple of hours each day (while I was at school) and made sure to give her lots of hay and such. During the holiday she lived outside in her hutch, filled with hay. She actually did fine. Normally I wouldn't move a bunny in the middle of winter like that, but it was a special cause... I couldn't sleep having her in my room anymore and at school, the storage room was the chosen spot for student rabbits, so she couldn't really live inside with the other school buns (though she did for a while, while I got her used to outdoor temperature)

OK Will go for it this weekend and monitor the buns. I will give them a Snuggle Safe every night and they will have a bed box. Will keep their indoor accomodation set up just incase I weaken and bring them back in if they look too cold.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Rabs

They'll be fine. It's not that cold yet, and with enough bedding and fur coats they'll be fine. I wouldn't add a snuggle safe yet..wait till the frosts start.

Back