• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fudge is poorly- not eating, diarrhea and bloated tummy

touie

Wise Old Thumper
:cry: he hadn't eaten his veg last night and I came home from work today and found him covered in diorrhea, sitting in the corner with a gurgly bloated tummy and not eating his pellets, I offered him a raisin which he usually goes mad for but he didn't eat that either :cry:

I took him to the vets and she said that she couldn't feel a blockage and gave him baytril, a gut stimulant and fibreplex! I have given him fibreplex today but he's still not eating anything :cry:

what else can I do?

The Vet gave Baytril................:?

Hey-ho...........:rolleyes:

Has he had any pain relief?
What about fluid therapy?

Has he passed any normal poo at all?

TBH if he is still passing diarrhoea he needs more Veterinary attention. He is at risk of dehydration and if he has not had pain relief he needs that too.

Blackberry leaves are useful for treating diarrhoea but obviously not if the Bun is anorexic.

I would certainly robustly question the Vet re why Baytril has been prescribed without evidence of a Bacterial infection. Abx exacerbate diarrhoea and subsequent gut dysbiosis

I hope Fudge feels better soon

Janex

I completely agree with Jane... i mean baytril??? Furthermore it risks to upset his tummy even more....and diarrhoea and blockage sounds strange aswell...$

Haytea should help against diarrhoea and will stimulate his apetite.

thanks he hasn't passed any more diorrhea but the vet did say she could feel more! I think the reason behind the antibiotics was to get rid of the bad bacteria and replace it with good? :? I did think it was strange as baytril often causes diorrhea!

He is moving about more now but still not eating! Have just given him a second dose of fibreplex!

edit: I've just caught him nibbling a bit of hay, very strange as he doesn't usually touch it if there's food there!!!

Oh no - poor Fudge! :( Hopefully the Fibreplex will work quickly to restore the gut balance even with the Baytril.

How is Fudge today? Hope he's looking better.

(I often think Jane should give some of these :censored: vets a crash course in rabbit care... thank goodness for this forum!)

right I'm not sure what to do with him. The vet said I should admit him to the hospital if he still wasn't any better today.

He's hopping about the house with no problems, upstairs, downstairs, on the chair off the chair etc...and doesn't look ill! He has done a tiny bit of normal poo, no diaorrhea.

He hadn't eaten when i came in from work though :( but he is a very stubborn rabbit and has gone on hunger strike before!

I've offered him hay and he's nibbled a bit and thrown it around! He's eaten a few raisins, I've offered carrot tops and he looked quite excited and played with them for a bit and had a nibble though I did see him spitting some out! :?

I've syringed fed him some water but I'm not sure how much he should be having?

Question is do I force feed him with the syringe here or should he go to hospital? What will they do there that I can't do here?

Hmm... I'd get some syringe feeds into him if you can. Doesn't sound like he has 'cleared' enough poo to get him interested in food yet. Has he had any pain relief? I find that's the main thing that works with mine. I guess the main thing he would get at the vets would be fluids (either IV or sub cut), regular gut stimulants if he needs them, and some pain relief if he hasn't had any. Good luck!!!

Hi Touie i completely missed your thread. I hope fudge is pooing normally and eating. They really scare you when they stop. :? :D

thanks everyone Fudge is fine now! Eating, pooing and demanding raisins!!! He did scare me though :shock:

Back