• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about Kitt =[ It's not good news :[

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
This may be something or nothing, but Im not wanting to risk anything... I am planning on taking Kitt to the vets, but I need to know if this is to be treated urgently or if it's just me being paranoid.

When I went to feed the boys around an hour ago I noticed quite a lot of fluff in the hutch - both Jamie's and Kitt's fur is apparant, but more so Kitt's. When I was stroking Kitt I noticed that his fur is quite untidy on one side so I decided to have a closer inspection. I looked in his ears and they're both fine, but on looking at the outside of his ear it appears that he has a little nick - so I moved a bit of the fur and I can see that there's a bit of blood/discharge in this wound =[ I then was looking in his eyes and I can see that underneath one of his eyes it looks quite sore - like a little red line, he is a black rabbit, so obviously this isnt how he usually is.

He's eating and drinking well, he's also pooping and weeing normally too - he seems his usual crazy self. Can anyone offer any advice?

Lou xx

Last edited:
Hi Hilda,

They are indeed both neutered, they've been neutered for about 2 months now. They've not had a scrap since they were done, which is why it's all the more confusing.

Mine had a little fight today and Molly ended up with a cut nose. :cry: This could be a fight and/or mites. If he stops doing normal processes and/or his wound starts weeping, take to vets.

My 2 neutered boys used to scrap occasionally - nothing serious but I'd be worried if there was any bloodshed as it could get worse next time as obviously somebunny is really going at it :?

It's just this little cut on his ear I'm worried about... only when the fur and bit of skin is pulled back can it be seen that it's got a little puss in there.

I'm going to bath it tomorrow morning - what would be best to do the bathing with? Also, I have some Baytril left from when he had an abcess last time - should I use this?

Also, should I put the snuggle safe in the hutch tonight? Or should they be ok with the hay I've put down? I cover the hutch with tarpaulin on a night...

They'll be fine with each other and a nice bundle of hay. Keep the snugglewarm in reserve for when the temperatures really plummet. They need to build up their winter coat and if you keep them too warm they won't do that.:)

Thank you=]

I've put in one of there small blankets just incase, they wont use it though and some extra hay.

Should I bathe the little nick on kitts ear?

Got up this morning to find Kitt laid in his litter tray and not responding to food... I took him inside to bathe his ear and I was looking at his fur, which is even worse, and he has a big chunk out of him on his side :cry:

I'm taking him to the vets now, so please send him some healing vibes xx

Sadly it's not good news :cry:

When the vet was inspecting Kitt she lifted a load of his fur up and some how he has managed to slice his skin open down one side :cry: The vet can't be sure if this was caused by Jamie, or if Kitt caught himself on some sharp wood? Or maybe the ramp in the hutch... but he also has some old wounds which have healed up fine, so I'm beginning to think that maybe Jamie has been bullying him :cry:

I've left Kitt with the vet as he needs emergency surgery, I am so gutted. Whenever I've tried to hold Kitt say in the past month and a half he's either scratched me badly or bitten me :cry: I always thought it was because he'd gained independence because he'd been moved outside, I never knew it was because he was in pain. Up until yesterday, to just look at him he looked fine.

Now I just don't know what to do, I'm crossing my fingers that he pulls through the anestetic ok but I don't have the facilities for 2 single buns. I know that if I left Jamie outside on his own he would pine too much for Kitt, but I'm worried that if, when Kitt is all healed, I put them back together it may happen again.

I just dont know what to do :cry:

i'm so sorry you must be really worried.I don't really know what you can do with you not having any space to house 2 seperate.Is there any way you could have 2 huches and runs side by side so they have company but are not actually together?I hope all goes well at the vets.

Vibes for Kitt ~*~*~*~

Its does sound more like he is being bullied to be honest if he has old wounds that are healing too.
Can you bring them both indoors and when he is back on his feet and see how they interact with one another? Being outside you won't see any bullying but if you are at home alot you can watch and see. If Jamie is bullying him alot I think it would be best for both that they are seperated and found a female each instead. Have you checked Jamie over too to see if he has any old/new wounds?

ps. I had two male rehome buns that came in as a pair and had lived together since babies, both were neutered but at 12 months Leo started to bully Hunny and so I split them and they were bonded with females to two seperate new homes and both are still thriving and very happy :D

Awww poor little Kitt :( How he must have suffered all these weeks - I do hope he pulls through surgery and doesn't get any abscesses. Did you buy that 'massive happy hutch' over run in the end? Because you could always permanently nail off the stairwell and keep one bunny in the top and one in the run, with just a small, cheap hutch for a bedroom in the run (as the hutch shelters half of it anyway?

I think Kitt will need to live indoors till he's all better anyway won't he? So meanwhile you can think what to do - you mustn't ever put him back with Jamie as he'll kill him next time - I think their friendship is sadly over :(

How awful for you and poor Kitt. Everything crossed that he gets better. Keeping him inside is a good idea, especially while he recovers.

Totally agree with Elve. Don't risk putting them together again.

As an aside… my two female buns, who were bonded, became unbonded (long story) and we ended up having to give one away to a rescue centre. It was really sad, but neither animal was happy, and in fact, Middy suffered some horrible injuries. Middy is a houserabbit and there was no way we could have kept her and Albie separately at home. I do think you have to do best by the animals – and in this case that may mean re-homing one of them.

Well I've got Kitt back now, and the scar on his side is ridiculous!!

The vet reckons that whatever has cut him has gone through muscle too!!! Could this definately be Jamie?? He's got a neck restrainer on, so he can't get to his wound. I've been given Fibreplex, Baytril and some Recovery food - I've just given him some fresh veg and a bit of hay and he was ok with that... he's only done a small number of poo's.

Should I give him the recovery food? OR should I keep hand feeding him tit bits of vege, pellets (if he'll take them) and hay?? Also, with the water, I don't think he can reach the bottle because of the neck restrainer... therefore, should I syringe him water? If so, how often?

Thanks all for your advice so far, I've bought a Nero indoor cage for Kitt... he's staying inside with me. I'm a bit worried about Jamie being out in the huge happy hutch on his own though =[

Back