• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on Monty *** updated 26/09***)

Lea-Anne

Warren Veteran
Well he hasn't developed any more lumps and his eye is relatively clear. :thumb:

We saw Fiona my rabbit savvy vet ,about an hour ago and she is not overly concerned about him :shock: . Phew. I really have been out of my mind, I've been unable to eat or sleep for the last two days and feeling sick with anxiety:cry: :cry: :cry: .

She said to leave his eye well alone, and just keep on with the baytril for a week. I had been scaring myself with stories on the net and one said a rabbit was healthy and then dropped dead after 13 days. She said rabbits usually succumb very, very quickly to this, and its been 3 days so just keep him comfatable and continue monitoring him. He may get more lumps, he may not, but don't be worried, its just his body fighting it. The vaccination saved him :angel: :bunny:

I won't feel totally better until next week now but I am not as anxious as I was. I know my vet is always honest with me at all times and I value her opinion so much. I wish I could have her on call though:angel: :lol: !

Thanks for all the well wishes. Monty and I are very thankful :love: :love: :love:

Can you believe someone said to that I was crazy for paying £80 emergency call out :evil: . I just snapped at her "Well my rabbits are priceless to me. I love them to bits and will do anything to not loose them." :love:

Last edited:
It is such a bonus to have a trusted Vet. I am sure that Monty's immune system will get on top of the virus. The fact that he is vaccinated has probably saved his life.

Lots of vibes heading Monty's way :D

Janex

Glad he's going to be OK! You must be so relieved!:thumb:

-About someone thinking you are crazy to pay the vet bill...People who don't love animals will never get it -that we'd spend anything to make them happy and healthy- I feel sorry for these people I think!

It's great to hear that Monty is doing well - anyone with animals should know that they are expensive to fix when something goes wrong!

About someone thinking you are crazy to pay the vet bill...People who don't love animals will never get it -that we'd spend anything to make them happy and healthy- I feel sorry for these people I think!

This was from someone who has animals, including 40 rabbits. :shock: All UNVACCINATED. :cry: :cry: :cry:

My vet has suggested keeping everything the same - no stress, just act like normal, keep him warm and feed him up! :lol:
I've got him on Avipro probiotic stuff but I am still petrified of him going into stasis due to the antibiotics. I've heard some vets don't give them for that reason but mine did to prevent secondary infection. She said they can't stop the mxyi but they can make sure he doesn't get further problems.
Can anyone offer me any suggestions for helping his runny poos? They are not majorly bad but again I am so paranoid!:oops: :lol:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is fresh better than dried Janice? If so, I've got some you can have, Leanne

Haha you beat me before I could even post! :lol: Thanks hun xxx :angel:

yep..organic too! Not because of any high ideals..just always been too lazy to spray, so I've got the fattest toads in the country!!:lol: I'll get G to drop some round at yours on his way to his house tomorrow morning if that'll do..

This is the best news I've heard in ages. I'm so happy Monty is going to be okay. It must be such a relief for you. x:D

BinkyBun , hes not out of the woods yet, its still early days but yes I am going to relax just a little before the stress makes me ill :rolleyes:

Hes got through FRS 3 times in his life. Hes a fighter. What more can I say. :love: Either that or he just knows I'm not letting him go anywhere! :lol:

You could ask your Vet if she thinks giving Monty Questran whilst he is on abx might help.
Questran helps prevent absorbtion of the 'bad' gut bacteria that may over populate the guts when a Bun is on abx

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/questran.html

As Janice has suggested Blackberry leaves are useful. They alter the PH of the stomach making it a less favourable environment for the 'bad' gut bacteria.
Also Vitamin C at a dose of 100mg/kg daily may help reduce 'bad' bacteria production and absorption

Janex

Back