• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new rabbit owner.

kathizzy

New Kit
Hi therem we have just got a 12 weeks old, tan and white dutch rabbit. He is still very nervous. Can anybody give me any hints or tips on how to get him tame and used to us? I have had him out and he wasnt to bad.:wave: And also when do i start to give him fresh foods? AS the petshop said dont give him fresh stuff yet. What age do i start to introduce him to greens ect? Thanksvery much

he can be introduced to greens now. He probably wasn't fed greens in the petshop so introduce them slowly, like one leaf of dandlelion a day to start with. My buns were very nervous when I got them a week ago but they are now much better, jumping on me and nudging my hand. Just hold them and stroke them. Putting a hand over their eyes helps relax them. Can I ask why on earth did you get a bun from a petshop? He may not be who they say he is, ie, age and gender, so take him to the vet to get him fully checked over.

hey :wave:
welcome and congrats on your new baby....
Dont feel to overwhelmed with all the info you will get...
Make sure he has plenty of hay ... and that if he is on cereal mix food... start trying to get him off that by slowly introducing a pelleted food like Selective Science or something with a high fibre content.
Veggies can be introduced now, but only a bit at a time as their stomachs are sensitive .. and also you will need to get him jabbed especially as their is something called myximatosis which has been around with avengence lately and you might also want to get him a friend in the future ;) but make sure he/she is done otherwise there will be lots of babies.
As for getting him to trust you and come to you give him time... and food training helps so he associates you with nice things.. and get down and talk to him and play with him on his level. :D
hope this helps

Can I ask why on earth did you get a bun from a petshop?

:shock: Not wanting to start a fight, but I don't think that tone was entirely necessary. Everyone on here knows there's 33,000 rabbits through rescues each year, but before I searched on the net, I would have got one from a petshop too, I just didn't realise how big the problem was!

Sorry. I didn't mean for it to be said in that tone. I'm tired and I'm writing all sorts of weird things tonight. Sorry kathizzy if it may have offended you. I just feel very strongly about it. can't wait to see piccies of new bunny. sounds gorge.

Sorry. I didn't mean for it to be said in that tone. I'm tired and I'm writing all sorts of weird things tonight. Sorry kathizzy if it may have offended you. I just feel very strongly about it. can't wait to see piccies of new bunny. sounds gorge.

I'm sure people on the boards know you meant no harm, just thought kathizzy might need it pointin out! Glad you didn't take my comment the wrong way :)

:shock: Not wanting to start a fight, but I don't think that tone was entirely necessary. Everyone on here knows there's 33,000 rabbits through rescues each year, but before I searched on the net, I would have got one from a petshop too, I just didn't realise how big the problem was!

I don't want to get shouted at either but just had to say i got Lionel from a pet shop as i didn't know there were such things as rescues, they are not really advertised are they?
Everytime i speak to the vet and speak to a different receptionist i get this same comment 'why did you buy from a pet shop when there are rescues?' and i am constantly defending myself, i now however hope to get him a girlfriend form a rescue :)

I don't want to get shouted at either but just had to say i got Lionel from a pet shop as i didn't know there were such things as rescues, they are not really advertised are they?
Everytime i speak to the vet and speak to a different receptionist i get this same comment 'why did you buy from a pet shop when there are rescues?' and i am constantly defending myself, i now however hope to get him a girlfriend form a rescue :)

Well, wherever he's from...from what I can see of him on that picture he is very cute!! ;)

Yuupp...Until I got my bunny I had NOOO idea that there were homeless rabbits. I am very against pet shops selling animals, and against breeding of animals. I've volunteered with dog rescues before but I only knew of dogs/cats that were homeless.

I got my first bunny from a petshop as I didn't know there would be any in a rescue...We call her my "unplanned pregnancy" since we were just in the shop to get a toy for my parents dog (who was undergoing radiation therapy for her tumour) and I saw this bunny and bought her-not knowing anything about bunnies or their care-I'd had guinea pigs before and figured they'd be about the same. Boy was I wrong!! I still spend hours every week doing research on Rabbits-they are very complicated and expensive pets!! But also the best!

But I'd definitely I'd never heard of re-homing rabbits ...I even said to the bf when I was buying her that there wasn't a homeless rabbit problem so it was OK that I was getting a petshop pet! :oops:

Thanks everyone for all your help, and no offence taken about me buying him from a petshop, but to be honest,someone has to give these bunnys a home. It is actually my little girls rabbit and she was very eager to have one imediatly if not before,lol(kids eh?) I had him out for a run twice yesterday, and he is getting better,he lets us stroke him now,without scurring off in the other side of the hutch, so hopefully he will be fine. Ill try and get some pics very soon. Thanks everyone :)

Your rabbit will just get easier and easier to handle...although some never like being picked up, the more time you spend the more they will get used to you...And no rush, remember rabbits live 8-12 years!!

Hey, not trying to offend either, but just wanted to point out that you could use the arguement 'but someone has to give them a home' to pups from puppymills and backyard breeders. If everyone stopped buying, the demand to suplly shops would cease.:) Far too many buns are bought on impulse and the owners don't release the work they require, plus the vaccinations, neutering, worming etc etc. They are basically like a vegan dog!:lol:

is it bad to buy a rabbit from a petstore?i never heard of a rescue place for bunnies.until i sighned up for rabbits united forum.i got mine from a pet store:oops: :oops: :oops: i got him 3 years ago.is it to be ashamed to get rabbits at petstores?if it is im sorry:cry: :cry: :oops: :oops:

I got my first rabbit from a pet shop as i wasn't aware of rescue's. I have how ever got her a bf from a rescue. Its not a crime to get your first rabbit from a pet shop, but now i am aware of rescue i have made the desicion to get all future buns from them. Resonsable owners should not be made to feel sorry they got there first rabbit from a pet shop because i don't regret getting bugys at all!

Hi again, Gosh i had no idear of the amount of bunnys that need re-homing untill i looked on this site, i feel ashamed of myself now:oops: , sorry everyone. I wanted to ask when do they need injections(at what age) and how much do these usually cost,or round about? I didnt not know they needed injections,but if he needs them,he shall have them,we'll have to save up for a week or two. Maybe i will get him a freind,but if i did,i wouldnt buy from a petshop,i would try and rehome one.
Thanks everyone,ill try and get some pics of him soon,he is so very cute and is doing well,were bonding just great.:D

If he is 12 weeks old he can have his jabs now there are 2, VHD and myximatosis. I would definately get him the myximatosis ASAP due to the high rate of infection this year plus it takes 2 weeks to take full effect. The VHD can be given 2 weeks later. Mine cost £15 each. Hopefully the vet would give bun a check to ensure he is a he, his age and to check he's nice and healthy etc :D

Try sitting on the floor near him I'm sure he'll be exploring you soon. Don't rush trying to pick him up as it can stress them and they are likely to jump which could cause injury and not be a great start to your relationship!! Let him hop on your lap etc, if you have food in your hand he'll love you even more! ;)

Last edited:
Do not let people make you feel guilty about buying your bun, my two were from a pet shop and they a beautiful.
I was aeare of rescues but i liked my two.
Yes there are lots in a rescue, but people buying rabbits will NEVER change.

Back