• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'd love to become a rescue one day!!!

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I would love to be able to rescue and rehome loads of bunnies and know that they'll have a better life. I would love to do it in the future. What do you need to do to become a rescue? What does it take and what amount of your free time does it take up? Would you recommend it? Any other info would be great.

Never done it, but I know from the stories on here, that you would have to be not only finically prepared but mentally as its a tough job, and not one I personally could see myself taking on, I have lots of admiration for those who do it!:D If you can't actually rescue, theres fundraising, fostering etc which are all vital as well!:D

I would imagine it would take up all of your free time and lots of money to keep spaying/neutering bunnies :D Its something I think most of us would love to do if we could and I bet its really rewarding knowing that you are saving bunnies lives and helping them find a new forever home :D

Never done it, but I know from the stories on here, that you would have to be not only finically prepared but mentally as its a tough job, and not one I personally could see myself taking on, I have lots of admiration for those who do it!:D If you can't actually rescue, theres fundraising, fostering etc which are all vital as well!:D

Meant to say that too ;) Im not sure I could handle seeing buns in some of the situations rescues on here deal with :(

I don't think you really need much, love, time, patience, space, money for vets bills and hutches.
Keep eyes and ears out for rabbits that are in need, advertise in you area the key would be to set up a site really and to advertise on here!
I would help for free but your to far away. All the places I've asked to volenteer at turn their noses up at me because i'm under 16. Drives me mad! :evil:

I don't think you really need much, love, time, patience, space, money for vets bills and hutches.

At first I misread it and thought you said love, time etc was really needed, but I think you are saying that those are the things needed, so you might want to re-word it, or prehaps its just me. Anyway, whatever way you mean it, I don't think many rescuers on here will agree to the 'not needing much';)

Prehaps anyone considering it should have a wee go at fostering first though...but again, I am way out of my depth, I have no first hand experience!:oops:

I'm not even a rescue as I failed to rehome all but one of my guinea pigs :rolleyes: but looking after 19 piggies and 6 rabbits means you have no free time, and no holidays, and you are working hard - I nearly died when I first got the pigs :shock: I can't imagine how people running rescues cope with the physical side of it, never mind the emotional side of it - I'd be constantly furious or in floods of tears from some of the stories I've heard here - and of course I could never rehome any animals so I'd soon vanish under a pile of poo :lol: I would say being a car driver is your first essential - I really struggle without a car.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=77095&highlight=money

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=72514&highlight=money

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=72295&highlight=money

These are all worth a look at, they are old threads where this has been discussed previously.

If you do go down this road, you need lots of money, own transport, space and more importantly time.

My own advise would be to get involved with helping out at a rescue to find out the problems first.

At first I misread it and thought you said love, time etc was really needed, but I think you are saying that those are the things needed, so you might want to re-word it, or prehaps its just me. Anyway, whatever way you mean it, I don't think many rescuers on here will agree to the 'not needing much';)

Prehaps anyone considering it should have a wee go at fostering first though...but again, I am way out of my depth, I have no first hand experience!:oops:

Lol I was trying to be sarcastic :lol:
I think rescues really are hard work!
Even Midnight, Saffie and Paprika are my little handful! Who knows how I'll cope when soon(ish) I'm going to get a husbun for Midnight! Lol.

Steffany i don't think it's a matter of "turning their noses up"..I think it's down to insurance...if you had an accident while helping out the rescue would be in big trouble!

good point actuly i didn't think of that.
however my sister had already started helping out at the vets when she was my age and was doing vacinations so wouldn't that effect their insurance?

good point actuly i didn't think of that.
however my sister had already started helping out at the vets when she was my age and was doing vacinations so wouldn't that effect their insurance?

that is worrying..people take their animals to a vet and pay for a fully trained service..I'm sure the vet in question is breaking a law????

Yeah that is a bit worrying! I think all 'hands on' training has to be done in surgery that is approved to be a Training Practice and then you have to be at least 17..... and you usually start off cleaning not doing vaccinations!

Back