• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holiday question

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Hi all :wave:

It occured to me on the way home, what do you guys do with ur buns when u go away on holiday, particularly people with house buns. Parents are definitely a no-no, mine have got lovely carpets :rolleyes: and two cats, and O/H's have got two puppies AND two cats!!

Or do I just have to convince O/H that we don't really like going away anyway? :shock:

Or do I just have to convince O/H that we don't really like going away anyway? :shock:

:lol: :lol:

Luckily my parents and brothers all are animal orientated so I usually have a brother stay at my house and my parents drop in every day too if my brother has to be out all day (he is at college so usually off during hols) My dog stays with my freind or parents.
I wouldn't be able to go away otherwise!!!

there are boarding facilities at some rescues which ensures that your buns are very well cared for. My buns are going back to their rescue's boarding for a week when we go on hols.

The first time we went away, my bunny went to "live" at my boyfriend's mom's house (my parents have a dog...- I love her to bits but she would spend all her time trying to eat my bunny-so she can't go there!)

Moving her to my bf's mom's house was a lot of trouble, so the next time we went away, she just looked after her at my house. If we go for just one night, we leave her on her own, but with extra food and water. She's usually a bit cheeky after that, but she is fine!

There are 'pet sitting' services you could check out. I think the best would be having a friend or family member look after your bunnies at your place, that way you don't have to move them and they don't have to worry about bunny-proofing (or poop on the carpet!).

we only ever go to scotland to visit my o/h's family... Alvin and ralph come with us (Alvins only been once so for) my mom looks after the chipmunks because we cant get thier cage in the car....lol...

if i cant take Alvin and ralph with me i wont go away....

If it's just for a weekend we ask some local friend to pop over and feed/water them and see if they are ok each day.

If it is for longer they stay with my parents, its a couple of hours drive but they are retired and so can spend more time and keep a closer eye on them.

Now the bunnies have moved outside, I think they will still go indoors at my mum and dads, as we are more likely to be away in the summer and they have a cool house too. This is as the hutch is far too big to move and we have a dog crate and panels we can set up for them at my parents - they have my old room! They have dog cage and an play area with 24 hour access, cardboard down to protect the carpet and the door shut to keep the dog out.

I've used parents, best mate & blokes before now. I have a large bonded group - was 13, currently 10, & several pairs/single fosters.

I just got back from my holidays & my vet nurse looked after them all, with my vet calling in every couple of days. Was expensive but 100% worth the peace of mind!

Just wondering too!!

I have also been wondering the same regarding going away on the jolly hols. With Helli being a house bunny and having the free range of the place, I can't find it in myself to settle with friends looking after her so what's the feeling with boarding facilities? Can anyone recommend a suitable place in Cheshire for a few days? I have located one called Rodent Rooms in Dutton, Cheshire – does anyone know or heard of this place?

Also another quick question: Helli is now turning a year old and I have been wondering if she would benefit from a male pal for company. If so, would it better to get a male around the same age? Do the majority tend to bond very quickly?? Not sue what to do – any advise would be great on the above.

Cheers Lorraine:)

We haven't this year :( we did actually go for the night I came back and my dad gave them way too much food :evil: he forgot to fill the housebuns waterbowl up aswell :( .. I don't know what we'll do next year we'll have to go somewhere for the childrens sake but dont know how we'll work it.

Holiday, what holiday?:lol:

I don't know what I'd do with mine if I went on holiday, surpose I ask my neighbor or my auntie to pop in. never really thought about it has I rarely go away. the buns are stuck with me:lol:

vikki:D

We went away for 1 week the first time this year since having the buns and we used a pet sitting service, I got to meet the girl before so I could ask her lot of questions, she was a vetinary nurse so that also put my mind at ease and she had also had bunnoes herself, she was great she texted me everyday to let me know they bunnies were ok I would definatly use her again money well spent for my piece of mind :D

We went away for 1 week the first time this year since having the buns and we used a pet sitting service, I got to meet the girl before so I could ask her lot of questions, she was a vetinary nurse so that also put my mind at ease and she had also had bunnoes herself, she was great she texted me everyday to let me know they bunnies were ok I would definatly use her again money well spent for my piece of mind :D

Wow, that's amazin Debs, wish this was a national service - would be perfect!!

I never go away, got way too many animals!
I very very occssionally will stay at a mates over night, so my Dad does the food/water but he grumbles about it lol, cos theyre my animals not his!

Midnight stays at home here, but my boyfriend ashton comes round twice a day to let her out and make sure shes ok for food, and then to put her in at night. Sadly though she gets a bit :censored: off if I'm not there so normally he takes his dad with him as back up because she kicks a little, however as soon as im back and ashton picks her up she's fine! My mum just says she no's she has to be good for me lol.
Then Paprika and Saffie go 45 mins away to my nans as she loves the guinea pigs! she talks to them, and sits with them, they get really spoilt with her! :lol:

Back