• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I need some advice!!!

bluelop

Warren Scout
My french lop went down with myxi three weeks ago and has been recovering well. This morning he did not want to eat and was not very well. I left him a while but then phoned for an app as he seemed really lifeless. He ate well yesterday and during the night. He had used his litter tray to overnight. I saw a vet at 2.30 and said he had a slight temp and his gut did not appear to be moving. So he had a pain killer and gut stimulant.maxolan and norocarp inj. He then gave me bio lapis sachets and a syringe. He seems really poorly not interested in food and hardly moving. Would you take him back at 5.30 if you were me? The vet said if he was no better tomorrow he would put him on a drip. But I am worried he will get worse over night. Any advice please? Pam

Is there any other changes since your rabbit was seen earlier.

Have you been syringe feeding food and water into him since he has returned home from the vet earlier?

If you are feeding and are successfully administering both food and water your bun may find it less stressfull being at home today Stressful situations should be avoided in a bun which does is poorly. You would need to reasses the situation in the morning. If you are unable to syringe feed your bun I would suggest returning to the vet.

Last edited:
The vet gave me bio lapis but when I syringe it in she won't swallow it and it seems to dribble out. I did not know if the inj could have knocked him out a bit.

well, I took Chester back tonight and they have kept him in to put him on fluids. Its a tough decision as I love that rabbit so much and know it will be stressful for him in there. But he was not moving about and seemed to weak to hold his head up for long. So I had no alternative as I was so scared he would die in my arms during the night. I so hope he will be ok. Can't wait to be able to phone in the morning. I thought he was doing so well, he was really well yesterday can't believe he was so ill today.Pam.

:wave: sounds like the best thing to me - hopefully the fluids will help get him back no track - sending Chester get well soon thoughts.:love:

Aw Pam, I'm so sorry..you must be going through it at the moment. He is in the best place for now and getting treatment. Hopefully he'll pick up during the night when the fluids are in his system, and you'll have some good new. Comfort vibes on their way>>>>>>>>

Just to let you know Chester died monday night. I took him back to the vets at 6.30 and they admitted him to give him fluids and then they phoned me at midnight to say he had just passed away. I have been so upset I have not been able to let you know. I have been feeling so devatated as he was so special to me and can't get used to not having him around. I know I loved him too much and it feels the same as losing a dog as he was such a big bunny with such a big character that will stay in my heart forever. I really thought he was over myxi as it had been three weeks and he was so well. But the different vet I saw said it can be 6 weeks before they are out of the woods. thanks for your support. Pam.X

I'm so sorry to hear that hunny. It must be so much harder, with thinking he was getting better, and then him going downhill so suddenly. Nothing I say will make it hurt less, but know that we're thinking about you xx

Thank you so much. Its so nice that we have people that understand on this forum. I had to go to work on monday after being awake crying after the phone call from the vets. I felt so rubbish and people don't understand your grief when it is a rabbit do they? If it was a dog they would know how you were feeling. But you get the idea that they think you are silly over a rabbit. When Chester was as important to me as one of my dogs. I used to sit and stroke him and give him body massages and hear him chatter his teeth in pleasure.He was everything to me.
Here are 2 pictures of him.
2006_12040004.jpg

DSCF0046.jpg

So sorry you have lost Chester - I agree lots of people just don't understand how much you grieve. He was a beautiful big boy. Just remember you gave him a loving home and he was treasured.
He looks the spit of my big frenchie BB, who I know is going to devastate me one day as I love her so much.
I lost my dog last November and still suffer from alopecia bought on by the stress, and I tend not to tell people anymore when I lose pets as I often find their reaction to be dimissive.
Only you know how you feel, and you need to grieve.

Back