• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

anorexic rabbit

Luciuslop

Alpha Buck
Several weeks ago I noticed that Peppermint had lost some weight. I initally put this down to her age as she is probably around 6-7 and as she was eating, drinking normally and her usual self I didn't worry about it too much.

Have to say here that I have always had to watch what she eats as she is very prone to getting diarrhea if she eats too much veg. Its possible that she had Coccidiosos before I had her that went untreated and my vet thinks she may also suffer with Colitus. So she has always eaten a diet of unrestricted hay, limited amount of pellets and tiny amounts of veg just fed as ocassional treat. Then I noticed she was getting quite gassy and bloated and didn't want to eat her pellets. I noticed she was passing lots of pellets with fur in , so treated her for a partial fur blockage. I took her to vet for a check up last week as she was again quite bloated and wanted to vet to see her when she is bloated. Peps was given a thorough health check and vet confirmed that she has no dental spurs and nothing abnormal going on in her stomach. vet is concerned that she has now lost 20% of her body weight. She is not weeing any more than usual and her wee is normal in colour, so don't think its a renal problem or bladder sludge, but cannot be absolutely sure yet. I am going to have a culture done on her poos to see if there is any low grade infection going on and if that is negative I will ask for a blood test. In the meantime I have had to separate her from the others, so I can monitor what she eats, drinks, produces, etc. She is very sulky about the whole idea.:roll:

The main problem I have now is that she is ravenously hungry and is looking to me for food but will not eat the dry food. I have tried several diiferent makes in the hope she will like one - even if its a museli type food - but she is stubbornly resisting and just picking. She is nibbling a little hay, but not as much as I would like her to. She wants to eat veggies and has resorted to stealing when my back was turned this morning - she scoffed almost a whole, large carrot and has now given herself diarrhea again:rolleyes: I bought her some Excel Herbage hay but she's not keen on it.

Any thoughts on whats causing her anorexia and possible underlying problems ? Thnx in advance.

I'm not sure what is causing the problem either.

Have you tried dried grass (eg Excel Forage, Ready Grass)? It has a higher feed value then hay so should help her put on weight.

Have you tried to syringe feed her with recovery fomula? This might help her to put on some weight.

Is it possible to give her a little bit more veg? Perhaps not carrot but carrot tops and greens. If you gradually increase the amount, she might tolerate it better.

I hope you get it sorted soon, it must be so worrying for you.

Lots of vibes

FC x

It does sound like her teeth doesn't it :shock: Or a sore mouth for some reason anyway - have you tried mushing up some pellets in a splash of hot water from the kettle, then allowing to cool, with a splash of apple juice maybe if that's not going to upset her tum?

Has she been wormed?

Back