• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is the longest you have ever known a Doe be pregnant for?

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
I know the gestation period averages 31 days.

Izzys owner is sure she was 31 days yesterday and although when I palpated her abdomen I thought I felt a foetus she dosn't seem large enough to be that far gone to me. Do nethies hide pregnancy quite well? Could she just be hanging around? I dont want to stress her by taking her to the vets unless necessary.

You sure you couldn't just feel pooh? Just because shes been mated doesn't mean she'll give birth, she may not have taken.

Average gestation is 31 days - but some does can be 28 days to 35 days.

Nethies are notoriously hard to breed, they tend to have small litters that chill easy, or just tend to be bad mums that abandon litters, or scatter them at birth. I wouldn't hold up much hope of anything surviving if she is pregnant.

They will typically give birth overnight as well, so tonight may be day 31 but she may not have them til this evening.

I am hoping she isnt pregnant but according to the ex-owner she has been a good bunny mummy.

I honestly cant say for sure if I felt babies or not and yesterday was day 31 so she should be overdue now. Her behaviour hasnt taken me as what I would expect from a pregnant doe and she is underweight. I wonder if she may hve reabsorbed the litter or never taken at all.

I am hoping she isnt pregnant but according to the ex-owner she has been a good bunny mummy.

I honestly cant say for sure if I felt babies or not and yesterday was day 31 so she should be overdue now. Her behaviour hasnt taken me as what I would expect from a pregnant doe and she is underweight. I wonder if she may hve reabsorbed the litter or never taken at all.

As I said gestation is up to 35 days so shes not overdue. 31 days is just average. Some does behaviour doesn't change at all when pregnant, its all down to the individual. Personally I think I'd leave her to wait and see, certainly don't go off rushing her down the vets unless she starts to give birth and gets one stuck.

I remember Jane's Bobbie had a lot of false starts and nest-building and eventually gave birth - she was in very poor condition too so maybe the babies take a bit longer if mum isn't in good condition?

Hmm. Personally I hope she isnt preggers but guess it could be end of the week before we know for sure.

Back