• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Carrots

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
I have just bought some carrot with the green stuff attached! I have never fed these to my buns before - do I just give them the whole carrot? I hope they like them.;)

How many rabbits is it between?

A whole carrot is a bit much for one rabbit in a day as they are very sugary so you mayu want to give half the carrot which is attached to the leafy end.

Thanks. I have two bunnies, I will just give them one between them and see how it goes (I bet Katy pinches Homer's half!!)

Yeah i tend to pull greens off 3 carrots for my 3 but then only one small carrot between them, usually about 1" long piece of carrot each:D Mine go mad for any part of carrots:D

Wow, did they enjoy that!!!

I gave them one skinny small carrot between them and they devoured the green bit, Katy tried to run off with the carrot but I managed to catch her in time to let Homey have half. So is it OK to give them more of the green stuff - that is not too fattening? We can eat the carrots!:p

Wow, did they enjoy that!!!

I gave them one skinny small carrot between them and they devoured the green bit, Katy tried to run off with the carrot but I managed to catch her in time to let Homey have half. So is it OK to give them more of the green stuff - that is not too fattening? We can eat the carrots!:p

It's high in calcium, which too much can be bad for them.

Have you tried giving them herbs, such as basil, mint or coriander. Mine devour these as fast as they do carrot tops:lol:

Nicola

Hugo loves carrot tops, i think he prefers them to the actual carrot as he always eats the greens first :)

Thanks for the hint on the calcium thing I will go easy on them- had to have Homer's bladder flushed out last Christmas Day at the emergency hospital and we think that may have been the problem as the Xray showed a mass in his bladder and his wee was very chalky (was never confirmed though)!

I do give them herbs. I have a couple of small planters with chives, basil, parsley that they can help themselves to - although it is not growing too good this time of year so I am having to buy pots from the shops. I have also just bought some "grow your own" which includes barley, wheat and something else. My sister is growing that for me so I will hopefully see in a week or so if they like that too.:p

Back