• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

poorly nose - please help

hornetcarp

Warren Scout
hi

my adorable bunny has got a poorly nose and i'm not sure what the problem is. i wondered if anyone here has seen something like this?

it started last monday (a week ago) when looking at her running around the garden, i thought she had a slight bump on her nose but i wasn't sure and thought i might just be imagining it!!

anyway she looked ok tueday morning (what i could make out in the dark through the patio door) but when i got home from work at 5pm i was quite upset when i saw her and rang the vets and took her right away.

it was all swollen, not just her nose but all around it too, and bleeding. she had blood on her front paws where she had been trying to deal with it, it was obviously bothering her and she was sort of sneezing.

having lost a young bunny to myxi 2 years ago i was very concerned and upset.

waited an hour at the vets and saw a locum, she wasn't really sure but ruled out myxi and said it didn't really look like VHD. she said it could just be an infection or possibly a tumour:(

she gave a couple of injections and prescribed me twice daily anti-biotics (baytril 2.5%).

almost a week on and only 3 doses of meds to go and nothing much has changed. there has been no further bleeding, the small amount of blood last tuesday was just were she had been at it, her nose is still swollen and discoloured. it has dark hard scabby bits beneath the fur, the fur hasn't come out. all this is on top of her nose, the nostrils are fine and there has been no discharge.

although the swelling a possibly reduced from that first day, the days since it just seems the same, it is more swollen to one side, sort of where her whiskers start. it's not bothering her though at all.

all they way through this ever other aspect of her is fine. eating normal, toileting normal, eyes couldn't be brighter and clear, ears fine, coat fine (apart from heavy moulting!), bottom etc. ok, mouth/teeth all ok and most importantly she seems her happy self making purring and ginding noises when having a cuddle.

i looked on the web and can't really find anything like it or what it might be, i just hope it isn't something nasty like a tumour:(

i'm wondering if she's bashed it (that's kind of how it looks, like she's been in a boxing match!!) although there was no sign of a cut or scratch last monday or the other thing i thought of is an insect bite/sting? is that likely? might be a coincidence but last sunday when i pulled the run away from the hutch to let her out there was a bee on her hutch door!!:shock:

if anyone can put by mind at ease that would be great as i thought it might be clearing up by now, maybe i'm being impatient:roll:

sorry i know i've rambled on abit!:oops:

thanks

ouch.. glad she is still happy and healthy in all other aspects.
Im afraid i have no suggestions at all.. :? I would have thought if it was a bee sting it would have gone down by now, unless it got infected but then youd have thought the antibiotics would have sorted that out :? Guess its gonna be another visit to the vet to see if they have any other suggestions.

thus it looks like this

Foto-JP8DK7G4.jpg

or this

Foto-YRAEV3EF.jpg

this is syfillis what you see on these foto's
Normaly a rabbit show it also around the genitals.
But recent cases have shown that there is also a syfillis version which only show symptoms on the nose

no it's not like those photos

all i can guess at is either some sort of infection or a growth i think, hopefully not the latter:(

probably go back to the vets friday

ouch that does look uncomfortable! I'm trying to think what it could be, i think you should take her back to the vet and get someone who knows what their talking about to have a look, especially if the antibiotics haven't done the trick. You'd normally expect them to start working by now.

that's just the thing, it doesn't seem to bother her at all?

apart from a bit of sneezing and snorting were one side of her nostrils are slightly scabbed over.

the other side does seem to be healing now with the black scabs? receding and pink skin appearing?

have been back to vets, saw a different person, and they said it could be atypical myxi (lumpy bunny syndrome) sometimes seen in a vaccinated bunny, but i'm not so sure??

given another week of AB's

still everything else ok apart from last few days a weepy discharge from the eye on the still affected side of nose, so not sure if it's related to that or not?? eye itself looks fine which is good.

strange, just wish it would hurry up and heal and go away!!

ooo that does look uncomfartable! I would just keep going back to the vets and ask questions and tell them everything has been tried. Surely they can do some sort of test on it. Too many vets are happy to send rabbit owners away with no answer. Good luck I hope your bunny gets better soon.

I does look very painful, the only thing i could sugest that it may be is an abcess, my Jack had one only his occured after he was bitten by another bun. I would definatly have the vet check it over again and possibly try and take a small biopsy from it.

Are you sure there was no wound or anything?
Maybe a little puncture wound?

not that i noticed, it just seemed to come from nowhere:shock:

that's the strange thing, as horrible as it looks, it doesn't seem to bother her at all??

maybe it is gradually improving but it's hard to see....

i'm wondering if her weeping eye is connected?

not that i noticed, it just seemed to come from nowhere:shock:

that's the strange thing, as horrible as it looks, it doesn't seem to bother her at all??

maybe it is gradually improving but it's hard to see....

i'm wondering if her weeping eye is connected?

The weeping eye could very well be conected as a buns tear ducts run behind the nose and discharge can go up or down.

Oh dear poor bunny. I did read something like this a bit ago where the owner had no idea what it could be only to find out a few weeks later it was a bee sting that was irritating the bunny not giving it time to heal.

I hope she gets better soon.

*HUGS*

update

not much change

eye still weeping - it's been a week now

tried bathing it daily but not making any difference

nose not much change, very scabbed up one nostril, almost blocked i would say

it's just horrible not knowing what it is or when/if it's going to clear up:roll:

100-0015_IMG-1.jpg

100-0014_IMG.jpg

100-0013_IMG-1.jpg

100-0012_IMG-2.jpg

100-0011_IMG.jpg

Last edited:
If her nose is that swollen it will block the nasal passage. It seems to have come on a bit too rapidly to be a tumour..... if its not myxi, how about a blade of hay thats gone up the nostril and become infected?? An infected wasp sting sounds feasible too. I'd ring round a few vets and look for one that specializes in buns if you have no answers and she still isnt any better.

Is there a test that can be done to detect myxi?? At least you'd know what you were dealing.

Hope she gets better soon.

Back