• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits go grey when they get old?

CrazyBun

Warren Scout
Stuart, my once-was-black rabbit, seems to be getting lighter with every moult. Also, instead of chasing the young female bunnies around the garden I have noticed that he spends more time cuddled up to his 'wife', Bluebell. AND he can't be bothered any more to show his younger male rival (Crackers) who's boss.

I can only come to one conclusion - middle age is creeping up on him. Should I be thinking of getting him a pipe and slippers? Will he be wanting to dye his fur to retain his youthful good looks? Is it time to sell his flashy sports bike and get him a sensible roadster? Will he start trying to spoil his granddaughter (Laikin) by buying her chocolate when I am not looking?

Yes, rabbits do go grey with age I'm afraid - its more noticeable with black or dark furred buns. Older buns will need extra care too just like older humans. You may need to make some adjustments to his living environment if there are any levels or ramps, etc that he may find difficult to climb and also his eye sight may not be as sharp. He will sleep a lot more and become gradually less active and his appetite may decline too. Its wise to get him health checked every 6 months just to make sure he is as fit as can be and there are no underlying problems, such as arthritis, dental spurs, kidney probs, eye probs, gut probs, etc. Glucosamine is great for buns with stiff joints ( 1/4 tablet daily ), but if he showing obvious pain when moving a vet check is advised. Dental probs can occur at any age, but are common in older buns, so if he starts eating less and is showing a reluctance to eat hard, crunchy foods this could be the case - dental probs sometime cause the bun to dribble. Sorry for the essay:oops:

I love older buns - I have 2 senior citizens at present. :love: :love:

Back