• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Teeth grinding when stroked

kelzuna

Warren Scout
Liquorice is his own man...go near him and if he doesnt want to see you he is off! He doesnt like being picked up either. But lately when he has been lying fully stretched out, i have been stroking him.

He doesnt run off, which is always a good sign with liquorice, but he is grinding his tetth every so often. I know this can mean they are in pain - but he is lying relaxed and doesnt jump off...

Does it mean he is happy?

Normally it is a gentle grinding if they are content, if it is more than this or you are not sure, then it would be best to get his teeth checked out by a good vet.

Absolutely not! Grinding teeth is the equivelent of purring. It's wonderful that you are starting to be able to bond like that with him! You'll know you are doing great things when he lowers his head strait down to the floor, puts his ears back and grinds his teeth while you rub his nose, cheeks or ears. They also like behind their ears as well!
(Loud grinding or chattering, when not being stroked, could mean he is in pain-but when your stroking him, trust me, hes purring :D )

I think it's quite easy to tell the difference between the 2 sounds..... or it is with Evo anyway.

When he's being stroked, it always sounds like he's "rearranging" his teeth to me. I lay on the floor and do the same noise with my teeth back to him, and he grooms me back sometimes. :) As kokaneeandkuhluha said, the body language is a good indication too, we just have to walk near Evo and he puts his head flat on the floor for love, doesn't matter if it's me or o/h or a stranger, he's quite happy to take it from anyone. :lol: He doesn't like being picked up though, same as your bun.

Back