• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Friend for older rabbit?

niandsa

Young Bun
I have just taken on a relative's 4/5 year old male lop called George as her kids had got bored of him (previous post). I have only had him 2 days and already I am wanting to get him a friend. I have 2 females who seem to be bonded (although they are only about 3 months old). I feel so sorry for George when I see the other 2 playing together and grooming each other.

I am guessing it would probably be easier to bond him with a neutered female of a similar age rather than my 2 youngsters. Is that right? Or is he too old to bond at all?

Anyone know of a rescue that will bond rabbits near to Liverpool/Cheshire?:)

He's only been neutered a few days - how long would I have to wait?

Would a 6 x 2 x 2 Happy Hutch and 6 x 4 run be big enough for two?

I would be tempted to try with your two girls first just to see how he reacts. You may find he's absolutely fine with them. If that's not the case then an adult female would be the best match yes :)

Tam

As your girls aren't spayed then he needs to be kept seperate for 8 weeks after his op - and then they may be very territorial as they will be at peak hormonal age in a couple of months, so he probably would get on better with an older, spayed female from rescue :)

No they are not spayed. I asked the vet about it and he said that the risk of uterine cancer is overplayed and that I shouldn't bother unless they become aggressive with each other. Not sure what to make of his advice after having read others views on here? :roll:

George is definitely slower than them - I have a feeling that they might be a bit jumpy for him! :)

Back