• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guinea Pig Question

JellyBelly

Mama Doe
One of my guineas has had a treatment of Ivomec for suspected mites. However i think the problem is fungal (it's been a week with no improvement).
I have shampoo etc from Gorgeous Guineas and i am planning bath day to be Wednesday.
However she has some scabs and obviously irritated skin-can i use aloe vera straight from the plant to soothe the skin?

She had the external treatment not the jab.
I don't know what to do-should i bathe her to help with the sore skin and then take her back to the vet?

I would get some of this http://www.gorgeousguineas.com/microneem.html

My piggie Florence got mites after a trip to the vets, just from the stress I imagine, so I avoid taking them if there's a home treatment available. Also why put off bathing her till Wednesday? I'd do that this evening but keep her indoors in the warm till she's thoroughly dry - hope she improves soon :)

And as far as I know they need ivomec injected for it to work? Cheryl would know (sprowston rescue).

The majority of my piggies get a topical application of ivermectin and it always seems to work. As yet never had a problem.

Hi JellyBelly, what are you going to bath them in? They do melts which are great. One of my fosters responded really well to the coconeem (?)melt following mites. He too had scabs and an open wound where he had stratched and after a couple days following the melt, his fur was starting to grow back. HURRAH FOR GORGEOUS GUINEAS :lol:

I have bought the CocoNeem melt and the Manuka and Neem shampoo recommended by Chrissie at GG.
I am going to bathe her Wednesday so that she can stay in all day and dry. I couldn't bring all five in for a night and don't want her to be lonely!

when we had little sugar because he was a rossetta with all that fur it was a bloomin' NIGHTMARE to get rid of his mites!
In the end he did have an injection and after 3 days he was fine, and I cursed the squirrel that had sat next to his cage and gave it to him!

Back