• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Plea for advice.........please with cherries on top

bumble1

Warren Scout
Hi All

I have just recently joined forum & thank goodness as reading soem of these threads has really helped me being a new bunny owner....

I was wondering if I could have some advice on todays new worry!!!

I have just gone to get Bumble in, as it is raining & when I put my hand in his run he scratched me with both feet - like "air boxing!!" I carried on getting him out & he bit me.......my worst fear....having a biting bunnie.

Is this something that could stay a trait forever as he is only 9weeks old/will he be better if he is "done"???

He has bitten my BF once before - but I thought that this was because he was sticking his fingers through his run wire too close to dinner time!?

Any help/advice would be very very much appreciated.

A worried Claire & Bumble xxxx

Last edited:
He probably sees his cage and his run as his territory and so will try to defend it (some bunnies more agressively than others!) Next time you could try coaxing him out instead, perhaps with a treat.
Rabbits may also bite when afraid. If he feels threatened he might try attacking.
If you don't think either of these apply to your bunny then it could be worth getting him checked by the vet - pain can make an animal vicious.

T x
Chinupson.jpg

Thank you for this - I will try that tonight when I move him back to his hutch.............I will keep everything crossed.....he has a firm nip!!!!

Claire x

:wave: He's still a baby and you haven't exactly had him long. It's going to take a while for him to learn to trust you and how he should/shouldn't behave. All of mine have given me quick nips when they were babies - let out a loud yelp and they learn not to do it again! Agree with what people say about offering treats etc. Be patient and give it time and he'll grow up to be a happy bunny!

for the first 3 weeks of Alvin living with us he used to beat me up when i cleaned his cage.... now he comes and watches but trusts me enough with his house not to hurt me....lol

baby bunny probably just needs to work out you dont want to eat him......

Maybe you could pop a treat into a cat carrier and get him to hop in there? Most rabbits hate being picked up anyway :)

Back