• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor thing....

I have just been to the garden centre and took my children to see some ponies in an adjacent field...On our way back I was surprised to see a wild bunny, just sitting there not worried by our presence on the grass verge munching on some grass.When i got a closer look at it I was nearly sick.

Its eyes were swollen almost shut.. and it had what looked like inflamed injuries to it's ear...It seemed in good bodily condition but i was surprised it just sat there chewing on a bit of grass..In any case i very nearly caught it, I had hold of it but the poor mite got away..into nettles and brambles it was impossible to get it. Now what i was wondering as it's eyes were almost swollen shut...Does it have myxi? If so i have touched it and i was wondering if it could be passed to Violet and Bugs from my clothes or hands? I was going to catch it and take it to the vets....I can't stop thinking about it..poor thing.:(

I would have a shower and disinfect yourself throughly and wash your clothes on a hot wash straight away to be on the safe side :)

Im not sure if it could be myxi tho :(

Last edited:
:wave: Defo sounds like Myxi - i have taken quite a few to the vets i have found sitting around on roads, verges, in fields, car parks etc to be put to sleep. I make sure i wash everything thoroughly after (the vet nurse said if you have puss/mucus from their eyes on your clothes and your rabbit touches it it could be passed on - I never have got it on me as when you pick them up you aren't touching their gooey parts but I wash everything ot be on the safe side).

It cant be passed onto your buns unless your clothes have fleas or anything on them as myxi cannot be passed unless its through a bug.
I would wash all the clothes you had on and give your hands a good wash and you should be fine.
A while back you may have read my thread about the myxi bun i found :cry: it was in middle of main road i put it in a box and to the vet and was pts.
This bun sounds like it does have myxi, lets hope it does not suffer :cry:
xx

Poor thing. This happened to my husband last year. A bunny found its way into the foyer of his workplace. He was really surprised but when he got closer he was really upset to see it. It was just hopping around in circles with it's eyes swollen shut etc. It made him feel sick also and me when he told me about it. :(

Back