• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Arrgh weeing in their beds!

Maizy

Mama Doe
All was well when everyone moved into the new sheds a few weeks ago, obvously too well!:roll:
They all had corner trays originally and when they moved I put the old trays in the new ( bigger trays) and they all carried on as usual ( great I thought). :D Then, a couple of weeks ago, I noticed Dandelion was weeing in her dog bed in the bedroom and using her litter tray and now Alfie, Peppermint and Ezzie have all started doing the same.:? :? Peppers and Ezzie are not in the same shed as Dandelion and Alfie is downstairs from Dandelion.
I've not changed any of the litter, and have always tried to keep the litter type different from the bed, so they can distingish bed from toilet, but now, they like weeing in their beds ( barley straw ) as well as weeing in their litter (shredded or recycled paper and woodbased litter ). I didn't really want to have barley straw as litter and bedding in case they used both, any ideas on how I can get them to just use the litter again?

As far as I know you should put eating hay in the litter trays and that's how you litter train them - I've never tried just bare litter, so maybe that's the problem?

I will try that, I just can't figure out why they would change when they were all using one place before.:? The only thing that's changed is the actual 4 main walls and roof!:roll: I was meticulous about making sure I transferred everything over with minimum disturbance. They've always had hay mangers so they can eat and poo at the same time, but they can't reach the hay manger from the litter tray now, so maybe that's it. Thanks Elve.:D

This has just happened to me with my 6 ! They have a dog bed they have hay in for bedding but they choose to use it as a litter tray aswel as four litter trays :roll: I'd also be interested in any advice anyone can offer her... :D

yep same here! I have just started to add hay to the bedroom again for the winter and now they're peeing on it again in the corners!
I don't want to try litter trays there as it's their bedroom and ideally I'd like them to be abel to snuggle in a large warm bed.

I have a couple of towels in there at the mo (they don't tend to pee on that too much). But would straw be a better option? I don't think vetbed would be warm enough for them in the depths of winter and it's flat.

I use paper, megazorb and hay in their litter trays so i suspect that's all out.

i had a similar problem with mine when they were toileting in the tray and the hay rack :roll: i changed the hay and stuff round so there was boing hay in the hay rack and extra yummy stuff in the tray that stopped them going the in the hay and i just reintroduced the yummy hay back to the rack and they still use their tray :D but hay in the tray works wonders :D i suppose it might be that they are actually nibbling the straw in their beds and going at the same time :?

Mine were ok until Luna and Sunnie joined the group. Now I have poo all over the place, and one of them has weed next to the litter tray in the bedroom twice now. Might be Sunnie, but I am not sure. I assume that they want to spread their smell around to make it their territory. Penny does a lot of chinning right now, too.

Back