• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pineapple - fresh or juice?

kelzuna

Warren Scout
just looking at some previous threads and noticed that pineaplle is good for rabbits stomachs?

Is this fresh fruit or pineapple juice?

Do they only need it when stomachs are upset or is it a part of normal diet?

*Fresh* pineapple contains an enzyme called Bromelain, which is said to help break down fur which may have been ingested during a heavy moult.

Personally I do not give it to my Rabbits. I ensure they are groomed thoroughly when in moult (to minimise the amount of fur they ingest) and that they have a healthy diet based on hay/grass/weeds and Veg. That combined with a good water intake and exercise should maintain healthy GI motility and any ingested fur will just pass through without causing a problem.

Janex :)

you can get bromelain tablets from holland and barrett too - 40mg chewable ones - I give them every other day when they're moulting, and give water in a dish as if they keep well hydrated that helps too :)

Back