• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should i go to the vet?????

kelzuna

Warren Scout
Liquorice has a small patch of skin showing on his back foot

sorehock1.jpg

Should i take him to the vet? Can they do anything or do i just leave it to see if it clears up?

We have changed his hutch lining to vetbed rather than woodshavings.

As the skin does not look sore or broken then I would just keep an eye on it.
Carpet is one of the worst offenders for causing fur loss on a Rexes hocks. So if Liquorice has time running about the house its best to keep him off carpeted areas.

If the skin does start to look sore then you could take him to the Vet and request he/she prescribe some FLAMAZINE Cream. I have found this to be the most effective treatment for sore hocks.
Some Vets prescribe FUCIDERM but as that contains a steroid it cannot be used longterm and personally I prefer not to use it at all.

Janex :D

I agree with Jane..flamazine is great. Can liquorice get time on grass? Running about on a soft surface helps so much.:)

yeah he gets lots of time on grass...weekdays (weather permitting) he is in huge run on grass and then as soon as we come in he has free roam of house and large garden. On a weekend he also has free roam - all day. He's tending to spend a lot more time in house, think it may be the cold?

Our house is fully carpetted...but we are moving soon and our new house is all wooden floors.

Back