• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

myxi/damaged nose *update*

Hugbut

Mama Doe
As some of you might have read, my bun Hugo is recovering from nodular myxi.He's been doing very well, his eyes are back to normal & the lumps in his ears are nearly gone, the only remaining symptom he had was a snuffly nose.His nose & face was very swollen during the worst of his illness but the vet said it would go down in time & he gave him 2 anti inflammetry injections - it's still a little swollen but not too bad.I was just bathing his nose and i realised it is damaged.It's hard to explain it exactly, it's the middle part of his nose (the equivilent of a humans septum i suppose) has come away at the top.its not bleeding or anything & it doesn't seem to be bothering him but something is clearly not right.I'm going to bring him back to the vet tommorow but i was wondering if anyone has ever had anything like this happen to their bun? i was wondering if the skin has split because it was so swollen or something.Does anyone know what sort of treatment the vet may offer, i think the skin may be too delicate & thin for them to stitch so i have no idea what they'll do.Getting him this far has already cost me a fortune & i'm now wondering how much more it's going to cost, he's priceless to me but it is hard to find the money sometimes, especially at the end of the month before payday.Sorry for the long post but i'm really worried about him as i thought he was over the worst :(

Last edited:
Are you sure it is actually split? Rabbits noses are slit. Sorry if I've misread your post.....:)

I'll try to post a pic, i did try to take one but it was blurry - i'm pretty sure it's actually split away from his nose but i could be wrong.we've got an appointment at the vet this afternoon & i'm dreading what he might say.

It could just be where the scab has formed, when Millie had Myxi she had a huge swelling over one eye which scabbed over. When the scab started to come away, I thought that the whole of the top lid above her eye was coming away too, but it healed ok, just leaving a small bald patch where the hair hasn't grown back.
Jane

I was just bathing his nose and i realised it is damaged.It's hard to explain it exactly, it's the middle part of his nose (the equivilent of a humans septum i suppose) has come away at the top

Silver's nose was like this, you could actually peel back one side of her top lip :rolleyes:

It never bothered her having a dodgy face

hi, i was just wondering if anyone could tell me how long it takes for a buns eyes to reduce in swelling and open again.I first noticed signs of myxi in my french lop bailey last sat. (he has been vacinated) his eyes have been swollen shut all week, he is very snuffly and has a small lesion on his head. I have been bathing his eyes and putting drops in and he has been on medication from the vets. I read somewhere on here it can take 14 days for the full blown symptons to come out but wondered how much longer he will have to endure these awful sypmtons.

I didn't manage to go to the vet today as i got stuck in traffic & missed the appointment :rolleyes: i phoned the vet to rearrange a time & he asked what the problem was, i explained & he said that he'll see Hugo tommorow as it doesn't sound like an emergancy unless i think he's in pain (which i don't think he is) So we've now got an appointment in the morning & i'm worried about what's going to happen,i tried to get a pic so you could voice your opinion on what the problem may be, but none of them were clear enough to make out what was going on.I feel awful for him, he's been through alot already, it seems so unfair that he now has another problem to deal with.I can't help but think this is somehow all my fault :(

It's difficult without seeing to understand exactly what you mean but if it's not causing him any trouble at the moment I doubts it's going to cause any big issues. Unlike people rabbits don't really bother with mirrors so a slightly odd look won't bother them at all :)

Tam

Hugo went to the vet this morning.She said the skin on his nose has torn because of the pressure it was under when it was so swollen :( He was given a painkiller injection aswell as an anti inflammetry one.She's also given him more baytril.She said the piece of skin will probably die & eventually drop off without any problems, if not it may need to be removed in surgery, but that will be a last resort.She was otherwise happy with him, he's doing very well aparently,it was nice to have some good news.He has to go for another check up in a week to make sure his nose is healing, but apart from that,his prognosis is good, although his nose is going to look a bit...different :lol: I took this pic of him when we'd just got back from the vet (not great quality as it's a phone pic!) :)
hugo.jpg

Back