• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
:wave: Hiya, newbie here!!

Just wanted a bit of advice really. I've seen a rabbit at an RSPCA centre, he's 2 years old. I'm looking for a house bunny, which he hasn't been previously; will it be possible to litter train him at this age?
Also, I want a bun that likes lots of fuss and cuddles, he was a bit too nervous for me to hold him, but the rescue man cuddled him while I was there and he seemed fine, and he looked contented when I stroked him down his back and behind his ears, he spread his back legs out and half closed his eyes.
Finally, he came into the rescue home with 4 others, and was a right sod to start with, cos he was very protective of the others. The centre therefore feel he won't bond with another bun. I've read that some bun's just never bond. Is this likely to be the case?

Ta muchly! :D

xx Libby

:wave: Sounds like you want a cat really :lol: But seriously - you don't get cuddly bunnies very often - they don't tend to like being picked up although they are usually very happy to sit next to you on the settee and be stroked. An unneutered male won't be housetrainable I shouldn't think - is he neutered? Neutering will also affect how he behaves around other bunnies, so maybe this was his problem before? :)

Alfred was approx 18months old when he came from the RSPCA, and he litter trained very easily. He also adapted very well to being a house rabbit.

He isn't a fan of being picked up and cuddled, but will happily jump up next to me on the sofa and demand fuss / stroking.

Ax

Yeah sorry, I didn't mean physically cuddled in my arms,just snuggle up next to me on the sofa or on the floor and enjoy being stroked a lot. Admittedly, yeah,I would love a cat :oops: but my boyfriends allergic. However, I'm under no allusions that a rabbit is very very different, I had one when I was younger,plus I've done a lot of (selective!) research on the net (there's a lot of contradiction out there!!), so I've got a pretty good idea what to expect.
He is neutered, I'm not sure if he was when he came in. I could ring the centre and check. He's quite a big bun,so if they came from a bad environment, maybe he took the role of the dominant one and tried to look after his fellow buns. From what they said, it wasn't that he was nasty with other buns, he just got nasty with humans because he was protective of the buns he was with.
xx

Yep, honeybunny, that would be me :wave: Great to speak to you earlier. I'm still interested in your buns, want to pick it/them really carefully; although I'm fully prepared to admit I want an attention seeking bunny for my own benefit (cos I got lotta love to give!!), I also want to make sure I'm getting a bunny/bunnies who are really gonna make the most of being house rabbits and getting lots of love!! Are all ur buns vacc'ed/neutered? Is there any chance I could visit the buns at their foster home tomorrow? I'm so excited, I can't help being impatient!!

I've now got all toys, bedding, litter and food ('cept the fresh stuff). I've ordered a play pen from pets at home,and I know where I'm gonna get the bed from on Monday. My garden is pure lawn,no plants, bout 6 metres by eight... though thinking about it, my fence is only 3 foot in some parts, is this too low for a medium/large lop (the one I've seen at the rspca)?

Thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming!!

xxx

Hi

you would need a higher fence as some bunnies will clear that easily.

Yep our bunnies are neutered and mxyi vacs....
don't worry if you get a bun somewhere else..a rescue bun is a rescue bun wherever it comes from..we're not in competion with each other we're all doing the same thing!:D
Sorry to be stupid but did you say which area you live in ?
I'm out doing a boot sale to raise some funds tomorrow morning so won't be in til 1.30..ish..if you ring me then I'm sure you could meet some:D

my fence is only 3 foot in some parts, is this too low for a medium/large lop (the one I've seen at the rspca)?
xxx

If you are saying that your fence is only 3 foot in parts, is this because you are planning to allow a rabbit to run loose in the garden. If you are, I would suggest getting a secure run for the buns as some rabbits can clear a fence that height, more importantly other predators including cats and foxes will easily jump over a 3 foot fence, they will also easily clear 7 foot fences.

I was planning to let it run free in the garden :? Sorry, very new to all this, thought it would be best for the bun! That's why I've joined up on here tho, to get lots n lots of advice, I want to do this right!

I can't really afford two runs (I'm getting a pen/run for in the house too, b/f doesn't want that taking outside tho, says I'll bring mud back in the house :roll: )... or new fence for that matter. Would nethies be able to clear a 3 ft fence? I had thought about predators, but nextdoors cat won't come in our garden when me or b/f are out there (b/f has an air gun, NOT loaded, but he fired it empty so the noise of the gas scares them away - it's certainly put them off!!) No foxes cos we're right in the middle of a housing estate, but live in the countryside, so no urban foxes. and ths biggest birds you get round here are wagtails :D

xx Lib

I bought a run when I got my bunnies but have never used it as it's just not big enough for them to run! I used to let them have an hour supervised on the garden - they dig, they jump, they need supervision - but that's a pleasant way to relax if you wrap up warm and take a coffee out with you and a stool to sit on :)

Due to weeds and manic digging (unspayed females) I now restrict them to a large patio area, leading off the house, which is fenced off with moveable panels originally intended to be nursery fireguards (from Argos) - the bonus being they don't need to be carried to their running space (they hate being picked up) - But I'd never go out and leave them free - I always lock them securely in their hutches when I can't be around - which is why they have nice big hutches (good when it rains too - not that you'll have that problem with a house bunny :) )

Yeah Elve, that's what I was thinking, we've only a little garden anyway, and I'd only let them out when I was there, and I can see the whole garden at once, the lounge doors open onto the garden so, like you said about yours, they could find their own way out, rather than me picking them up if they didn't like being picked up.

I could restrict them to the bit with the taller fence, but that's only about 1meter by 6meters, and most of it's concrete.

hmmm, deep thinks...

Yeah Elve, that's what I was thinking, we've only a little garden anyway, and I'd only let them out when I was there, and I can see the whole garden at once, the lounge doors open onto the garden so, like you said about yours, they could find their own way out, rather than me picking them up if they didn't like being picked up.

I could restrict them to the bit with the taller fence, but that's only about 1meter by 6meters, and most of it's concrete.

hmmm, deep thinks...

That area sounds fine - my patios only 5'x 15' - concrete has the added advantage of not getting them filthy in winter, and keeping their nails worn down (but only if they run about - Benny still needs his cutting as he's a lazy bunny)

Back