• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oh no!..Myxi?

capel

Warren Veteran
Sorry about the cross-post BUT....
Vibes Please for Monty, Leanne and all her buns. She has a bonded 6 and 2 giants who share a huge shed. Leanne rang me a few minutes ago to say that Monty is showing signs of Myxi. Closed eye and lumps appearing on his face and back(symptom free this morning)..he's also got a raised temperature. All her buns are up to date with their vaccinations. She's on her way to the vet now.

Oh no, I really hope it's not, vibes coming Leannes way, lets pray that it's a false alarm

Hi. Just heard from Leanne. She saw a lovely rabbit-savvy vet. Yes, Monty has Nodular Myxi and is now on treatment. Hopefully he'll be one of the over 80% of vaccinated buns who come through it unscathed. The vet had diagnosed 4 rabbits with myxi today, none of which had been vaccinated.

Leanne will probably be online later this afternoon, but meanwhile I can let you all know that she told me this morning that Monty's eye is no longer tightly shut, nor have any more lumps arrived so far. I'm sure she'll update soon.

Hi guys. :cry:

Well this is what happened...

Monty had his eye tightly shut for most of the afternoon and even though I added some ointment I just KNEW it was mxyi. I rang Hilda later that evening but he didn't have any other signs at that point and she calmed me down and we agreed he'd probably banged it or something.There was no discharge, no redness, no swelling. I gave him a thorough check over and there were no lumps. Until I checked on him about 35 minutes later and found a couple of pimples:shock: . I found one near his eye, thought ok don't get paranoid. Then I found 2 on his rear and that was when I lost it. I panicked and became a gibbering, crying wreck and Hilda had to call the vet and organise the appointment for me and talk me through it all. Big thankyou for everything :love: xxx

The vet confirmed mild nodular mxyi. His ears were hot but he didn't have a temperature. He is ok really in himself - if it wasn't for those blasted lumps you would not know anything was wrong... :?

I think the vet gave him antibiotics, fluids and baytril , plus Advantage treatment for my others ,though its all a bit of a blur:cry: :cry: :cry: .

I have just been sat with him and his ears have returned to normal temperature and his eye is open. Theres a tiny discharge if you move the lid. I am going to bathe it regularly. Vet didn't give me anything for it but I do have flucithalmic and stuff of my own. There were sloppy poos this afternoon which I am guessing is the result of the antibiotic injection - I have given him some avipro probiotic on a peice of bananna. Just going to go onto autopilot now and care for him to the max.

ANY advice or vibes will be hugely appreciated. Thanks xxx

Last edited:
Thankyou.

He suffers from FRS so I don't know if he had a weak immune system anyway making him sucesptible or if its just really pooey coincidence that the poor mite has got to suffer with this now too. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hi Leanne:wave: Just do your usual fantastic-bunny-mummy-thing that you always do :D and keep going with the baytril etc. Be aware that he may well develop no more lumps for a day or two and then have another sudden eruption, but try not to panic as Floss did exactly the same. We are out later tonight, but text if you need anything. btw got you 2 bags megazorb which G will bring round when he sees you next.

Thankyou Hilda. I have just spent an hour sat in the shed with him and he was loving the attention. He doesn't seem outwardly poorly which I am thankful for.
Hes not developed any more lumps yet but I am checking him obsessively.
He takes the meds really well. Hes such a good patient. ;)

The emergency vet said he wanted to see him Monday but do you think I should or take him to my regular vet? :?

Thanks for the MZ. ;)

I don't trust anyone else with my rabbits ;) I'll call her first thing and she will squeeze me in I'm sure. If shes not there for whatever reason I'll take him back to the emergency one, though I didn't even ask him his name... :oops: :oops:

Back