• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this time in the run ok? And help with digging

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
Before I got bunnies, I was planning on them being in their run for about 6 hours a day, but now that I've calculated it, they will probably get about 9 hours in the run for the time I can put them in the run. So is 4 hours in the run ok? They have a 6ft hutch and they are 10 weeks old. When they're older, shall I put them into the run for the full 9 hours?

oh right. ok. I'm worried about digging. The run is on grass and to be moved once a week. Is there any tempory preventation to stop digging?

Not that I know of... Both mine tend to dig every now and then. I just keep an eye on them and make sure they don't dig their way out. When they were in separate runs, my little girlie bun kept trying to dig into Barney's run.. and he'd try the same. It was funny... but the grass looked a bit potholed at the end.

It usually involves my mum telling me to go and tell either rabbit off... Which rarely works, 'cos once they've made a 'project' of digging a hole, mine don't like to be dissuaded. So I just move the run. I saw 'just'... it's not a little run to move. e.o

My mum wouldn't be able to move it as she'll be in the house most of time when they are in the run. Is there anything else? Is there any permant measures that can be taken out and put elsewhere?

I read putting concrete slabs around the outside of the run is good for making it harder for rabbits to dig out and foxes and other predators to dig in :)

Usually rabbits snooze in the middle of the day anyway - mine are in their hutches snoring and eating their poops from 11am - 4pm.

As for digging when I used to let my mad, digging girls on the grass it would take them about an hour to get out of sight down a tunnel - they really went at it :roll: I would then go out in wellies and get a trowel and fill it all in again, kicking it down the tunnel hard with my wellies, while they looked on in horror - poor girls :( Then I put a brick just at the entrance and they'd have to go and dig somewhere else - they had about 4 tunnels on the go :?

I put my run on flags initally to prevent digging, although this was a tad abrasive on Alfred's hocks, so I put rubber stable matting on the flags, which did the trick nicely, as it was dig proof and didn't cause sores on his hocks.

Ax

my rabbit dug about a 1 foot hole in the time span of about 6 hours, I would deffinitly recommend something that the grass can grow through that wouldn't be too irritating on the bunns feet, unless you move the run very regulary, young buns are like young kids, very active!

I think I'll take the idea of filling in the holes with soil. Can I use compost? And maybe putting some concrete slabs around the outside of the run. Is this effective?

Back