• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much do you spend on veg?

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering how much a week you spend on veg for your bunnies?

I was spending £15 per week, but was wasting about 10% that just went off in the fridge and a futher 10% from what the rabbits didn't eat. I'm now spending £10 pounds per week, But therse still about 5 to 10 % waste from what choci and lily don't eat (theodore eats everything in sight including me:lol: ).

Heres what I tend to buy for £10;

3 curly Kale
3 Cabbage
1 Spinach
1 bumper pack of apples (my hamster loves apples so he eats them too)
1 pack on banana's
1 either brocoile/parsley/carrot

Right now choci and lily keep leaving one or two pieces of the apple and banana, so I'll cut them down on that for a bit too.

vikki:D

We just get our veggies from either the co - op or the supermarket we go to and usually the total price of the veggies us about £2 - £4.

You'll find out soon enough proberbly :lol:

xx

Mine get whatsever in the reduced section hehe :oops:

Last night they had a bag of parsley, mint or basil each. I got ten bags for 10-p each hehe thats got to my best bargain yet! :lol:

Usually about £10 a week for 2 bunnies. Usually spring greens, kale, celery, toms, brocili and a few other bits and bobs.

eeeek aout 10 pounds a week to for 2 bunnies....
its just got I like them to have it fresh :roll: even though its not getting as wasted as when I only had one bunny! :lol:

just done my weeks shop at tescos.... the pets eat better than we do!!!

bakers for ralph £2.34
watercress for Alvin £1.79
Rocket for Alvin £0.95
Romaine lettuce for Alvin £0.89
Spring Greens for Alvin £0.99
1 Papaya for Alvin and the chipmunks £1.49
Cat Litter for Alvin £3.95
Sweet corn cobs for chippies £0.89
Strawberries for the chippies £1.89
monkey nuts for the chippies £0.99

A grand total of £16.17 for 1 week!!!
the rest of our £65 bill was for me and the o/h shocking when i actually sit down and total it all up :shock:

Mine get whatsever in the reduced section hehe :oops:

Last night they had a bag of parsley, mint or basil each. I got ten bags for 10-p each hehe thats got to my best bargain yet! :lol:

I've done that, my bigest find to date was 10p big red cabbage, I used find loads reduced when we shopped late, including yummy bread for us:oops: . Can't wait to be able to drive, then we can shop late again:lol:

I usually spend about £5 to £8 and that's for me and three bunnies i.e. a huge bag full. I shop in a local greengrocers so the prices are much lower there (and it's often better quality). Fruit and veg is always really expensive in supermarkets.

I usually get a large bag of spring greens, and then a couple of other things such as peppers, watercress, chicory, parsley, radishes/beetroot/carrots with tops or celery. I almost always get a few apples (often cooking apples) to give them for a treat, and sometimes I pick up some herb pots such as chives, parsley, or basil. I also give them banana skins when I have bananas for myself.

However, I do also give my bunnies alot of dried grass and herbs such as parsley stalks, dandelion, ragwort, chamomile or borage. That's probably another £5 or £10 a week.

There's rarely any wastage - I've stopped giving them the things they wont eat.

I reckon about a tenner a week...but I have an allotment now so hopefully some of it will be home grown next year!

I home grew cabbages and herbs this year, the cabbages were just outside the back door so feeding the buns was really easey :D

This week for 2 buns

£1 - spring greens
£1.5 - brocolli
£2 - buy one get one free watercress
£0.75 - Curley parsley

= £5 ish

plus free carrots, tomatoes, beet & herbs from the garden and they also get tip bits from human food too like strawberrys, blackberrys, bannana & red cabbage.

i spend a lot on hay though.

I buy fresh veg most every day for the buns.....I NEVER add it up, or I probably wouldn't DO it as much!:lol: I buy basil, spring greens, carrots, curly kale, celery, apples, and sometimes watercress. I try to alter the combination I give them from day to day, or they tend to get fed up and go off things for a while and start wasting. I have weird bunnies who do not seem to like bananas or tomatoes!:roll:

I've never really separated out what just goes on the buns as I buy a huge amount of fruit and veg, which is eaten by the buns, the ratties, the piggies, the hamster and us ( I am veggie and other half eats mostly veggie stuff too ). Probably spend around £30 week. I did try growing some herbs to cut the bill a bit and managed to get a couple of meals of parsley, corriander and rocket for the buns and piggies, but not enough to make it economical.
Taz

I'm mean with veg for mine these days and touch wood we've had no tummy problems lately *crosses fingers*

I buy a bag of greens, I used to end up throwing loads away because they'd go off in about 5 days but now I use the 'debbie meyers green bags' I got from QVC and they last until they're all gone which is about 3 weeks!! A bag of greens is about 60p sooo... I spend about 20p a week :lol:

This thread got me thinking and I've just been doing some adding ( for 9 buns ). I reckon I do 3 trips to ASDA a week, reckon I come in just under £12 p/w excluding Timothy Hay and Excel Forage which mine have constant access too, so adding that in as well, I think it probably works out at around £15p/w.:shock:

Mine tend to have Spring greens as a basic and then I add a variety of different bits to that, plaintain, dandelion, hazel and celery are regulars, with nettles, blackberry and raspberry leaves as well. They just get a mix of whatever I have been able to get.:) It's horrible when you add it up isn't it?:lol:

I go to the market on wednesday and saturday for the buns (there are 2 of them ) and I spend about 20 chfr each time, that means about 25 euro a week for 2 rabbits. (paersle,basilic, dille, thymian, rosmarin, chinese cabage and carrots, the green I receive for free, because other customers don't want it :) )

Back