• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits to be spayed on Monday - advice please?

Vic

Young Bun
Hi, My rabbits are booked in for spaying on Monday. They are outdoor rabbits. Should I keep them in with me on Mon night or wwill being in the house stress them more?

What else can I do in preparation? Is there anything I can buy or do in advance?

Any help please! I would rather be over-prepared than have a late night panic!

Vic

Some vets will ask you to fast your rabbit in preparation for a spay. Don't do this as it can lead to GI Stasis, and rabbit's can't aspirate so there is no need to spay. The only other thing I would say is try not to worry, I'm sure they will do fine!

She would be better in the house for the first 24-48 hours so you can keep her comfortable and make sure she's eating and pooping etc

Do you have an indoor cage or dog crate? You could just line it with towels or fleece. Don't use litter products as that could aggravate the wound and lead to infection.

Good luck, I know how worrying it is, I've been through it with all 4 of my girls!

Nicola

I have the playpen my kids used as babies. I think the bars are close enough together. They usually have Megazorb in their litter box, should I even void that? Thanks for the help,
Vic

My vets won't release them if you can't keep them indoors after a general anaesthetic, as it sends their body into shock and their temperature drops - with it being cold now I'd say they need to be indoors in a warm room to recover. Also check your vet is experienced with spaying rabbits, uses isofluorane gas not regular anaesthetics, feeds them up to the op, uses invisible, dissolveable stitches and glue (they always chew them otherwise), and has been to small animal conferences - lots of vets just wing it with rabbit care :?

Thanks Elve

I asked at the vet and it will be glue and isofluorane. I did not ask about the conferences as we are in W. Cornwall and the choice of vet is limited already. My usual vet doesn't do rabbits, so I would nomally have been sent 20miles away to their other surgery. However she is away this week and her locum does do buns. This means I can use my local sugery which is a 20second walk round the corner and save the stress on the rabbits of a car journey. Also it means I will see the same vet for the follow up - I always prefer this continuity whether it is vets, doctors, dentists etc.

Is there anything I should get is at home? Someone mentioned baby food - which ones?

Vic

Back