• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

new rabbit owner

gem313

New Kit
hi my names gemma i have 2 rabbits both are mini lops but when i went to give them their food today i noticed doris wasnt herself so i picked her up and she has lost a huge amount of weight in a very short amount of time like 2 days she wont eat or drink and is drulling i dont know what to do as i dont have any money for the vet because it was my daughters birthday today and we had to pay for her party. i dont know what to do i need help and dont want her to die she is about 20 plus weeks old and she is very very week can anyone suggest anything i am giving her attention and have a very small siringe so tried to give her water but it just dripped out. please someone help me. thanks. x

Hello - sure some of the more experienced forum members will be along in a bit. My friend had a similar problem last week and it was her rabbit's teeth that had grown up into it's head (rabbits' teeth constantly grow so if they are not worn down or are growing a bit wonky cause problems). She had them filed down by the vet and he is ok now - i don't think it costs too much at the vets. To be honest you need to get her to the vet asap tomorrow morning as it doesn't sound good. There are organisations who help with vet treatment bills if you can't afford them - like the PDSA - maybe do a search for some of them tonight and see what is local to you. I know you had to pay for a party but you really need to find the money to get her treatment straight away in the morning as she is obviously suffering. Hope she gets better soon - keep us posted.

Try phoning your vet and asking if they have a "pay later" option, or will treat her as cheaply as possible. Vet care is expensive, but she could very likely die quickly. The best is to get her to a vet!
You could also try phoning your vet, explaining that you can't take her in and see if he will help you over the phone

Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

You really need to get her to the vet immediately. Rabbits can become dangerously ill very quickly if not eating and drinking :( Ring round all the vets and, as above, ask if they will let you pay in installments, or use a credit card or maybe borrow some money? If you wait until morning she could be gone. Only a vet can help her im afraid as it sounds like her teeth are causing problems.

Good luck!

Sorry to hear your bunny is not too well. Drooling can be a sign of teeth problems so your rabbit does need to see a vet asap to see if they need to be trimmed. Keep trying to get your bunny to eat and drink but you do need to take her to the vet asap.

Hiya. :wave: As everyone else has said your bunny really does need a vet urgently. There's not alot you can do at this stage to save her. If it is her teeth thats the problem as well as being unable to eat she'll probably also be in alot of pain. I would ring round any vets in your area and ask about payment by installments, or borrow some money or contact the PDSA. She sounds very unwell indeed and I'm sure if you explain to a vet your situation you will find one that will help her and help you manage the cost.
Good luck x x

hi sorry not got back to you all. i took her to the vet the following morning, she started to bleed from down below and get clots and the vet said she had myoximitosis (i think thats it) so she had to be put to sleep i was very upset and very angry at the vet for charging 50.00 for it but she is now in a better place and my other rabbit mitsy is doing really well and will go for vaccinations next week. thanks all for advice just wish i had maybe done something sooner to help her. x:cry:

Back