• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I am a new rabbit owner

bumble1

Warren Scout
Hi

I have wanted a rabbit for years, & eventually this year on my 31st birthday I was brought my hutch & run in readiness of choosing my bunny.

I picked my rabbit in August & eventually brought him home last Saturday - he is beautiful!!!

I just wondered if anyone had any helpful hints for me as the nights are nippy - I make his bedroom really cosy with hay yet he insists on sleeping in the most awkward place at the botom of the stairs......any clues on how to get him to use his bedroom? I am worried for him as the nights get colder!!

As you can tell I am reallly new to this so any help you can give me is very much appreciated

Thanks

Claire & Bumble x

:wave: hello and welcome and congrats on picking your beautfiul bunny bumble! do you have any pictures? i am not very knowledgeable on house bunnies bit i am sure someone who is will be along shortly! xx

Hi
he isnt a house rabbit he is in a hutch outside but has an upstairs closed off section that would be ideal for him to snuggle & keep warm in but he just doent care for it!!!

I havent got any great pics yet - & so new at computers too so wouldnt know how to get pics on here yet!!? I will figure out soon I am sure.

Hi Claire and Bumble!:wave: There have been a few discussions recently on keeping bunnies warm in winter in the forum which you could have a look at. Mainly talking about getting those hutch covers or insulating the hutch with straw/bubble wrap/blankets or getting snuggle safe heat pads.

Re: making him go in the warm cozy area I guess he will when he gets too cold? Alternatively you can do what I do and have him sleeping in the sitting room at night which is non stop toasty! :D My bunny, Wobbles, died last month and I picked up a new rescue bunny called Barney last night- he is gorgeous (big black rex). Going to get him vaccinated against VHD and Myxi (lots of Myxi about at the moment and is transferred by flies and mozzies as well as direct contact) and then neutered and then get him a friend - that helps keep them warm too when they have someone to sniuggle up to!

Hope this helps - lots of knowledgeable people on this forum so you found a good place to ask lots of new bunny owner questions. Everyone is really helpful too. :bunny:

Congrats!

Congratulations on your new bunny! I wanted one all my life as well, and now i have two!!
If at all possible I would suggest putting bunny in your home, as this helps make them more a member of the family. My buns think they are human! Rabbits litter train fairly easily too, so keeping them inside is usually ideal.

However if you can't (personal taste, renting, allergies etc) perhaps the way to get your bun to sleep in the enclsed part is to put some treats in there to get him in there. You could give him some towels provided he doesn't pee on them (that would probobly make him colder). Perhaps, as mentioned in the above post, you could get a cover for the whole hutch?

Some bunnies love enclosures and some just don't! My first bunny hated all the "bunny beds" I bought her because she is not a timid rabbit and doesn't like to hide away. Instinctually some rabbits prefer to be in places that have two or more entrances/exits...Anyway you could add another entrance/exit? He may prefer to sleep there then?

:wave: Claire.

I make up really comfy looking beds for my lot and they never sleep on it:roll:

Bunnies like to snuggle up close and keep warm. Their nice thick winter coats keep them warm too.

It is the hot weather bunnies dont cope with so well not the cold.

:D

Hi Claire. Welcome to the forum. Never feel awkward about asking questions here. There's no such thing as a silly question, and every single one of us was new to rabbits at some time!!:) Just make sure there's loads of hay and bedding upstairs and when he gets cold he'll find it. Has he just left all his litter mates? If so, he'll probably be feeling a bit bewidered, so make sure you spend as much time stroking him and giving him nose rubs etc. Have you taken him to the vet for a health check and started on his vaccinations yet? If not, ask around and try to get a vet with loads of rabbit experience. Meanwhile, enjoy your new bunster and ask as many questions as you want..we all love to share our experiences and this forum is great for keeping up with all the latest bunny-based info.:lol:

keeping bunny warm

hello,iam new to all this myself(rabbits and computers)i have had my bunnies fudge and spike for a few months now they also sleep outside in thier hutchesand i have been worried about the cold nights.i have been putting straw and hay inside thier hutches and covering them over with a blanket and plastic sheeting at night.when we get really cold weather i shall be moving them into the garage or shed.good luck with your bunny i hope he brings you as much enjoyment as my boys do.

Thank you

thanks everyone you have been really helpful & have stopped me panicing!!

One more thing whilst I am asking - he doesnt seem to understand how to use a water bottle??!!

I tried a bowl instead & this ends up all over his bed within minutes of being changed & put in his hutch......Any clues, can he be trained to drink from the bottle.........Bless Him:?

I have a bunny who won't use a bottle - he has a bowl - not sure how you can get them to use a bottle. You tried putting the bowl in different places so can't be knocked over or getting a bigger bowl and having it less full?

within the 7 days I have had him, I seem to have tried many options - I think he thinks he is playing...........& being a new bunny mum I just worry!!

He is keeping me very occupied - it is great!!!

It depends on the condition of your hut, but if it has wire, you could get a bowl that clips to the wires (I have one of these); Or you could get a 'continouous water bottle" that is like an upside down water bottle (that is quite large, though they come in all sizes-usually made for cats/dogs...I purchased a cat one) that empties into a water dish...I'm not the best at describing things, i hope you know what I mean. They are very heavy and bunny can't really knock them over...They don't make them for bunnies as far as I know, but a small one made for a cat might do...There are also weighted water bowls, but a determined bunny can knock them over (still worth a try)...and there are bowls with suction cups on them that you could attatch to a wall if you hutch has no wires...I hope this helps!

Back