• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Yellow Noses - encrusted snot???

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
Milly & Molly have yellow noses at the moment. I could be from the powder off pellets but I don't know. It's not that obvious, just a little yellow mark underneath their nose, where they're nose holes are. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few hours. Does anyone know what it may be?

Could their noses be a little runny? Having white rabbits, their fur looks a littrle yellow if it gets wet. Just a thought!

It's come back worse than ever. It is like yellow encrusted on underneath their nostrils, so it looks like snot. I thought that rabbits couldn't get colds. I had a cold when I got them so could they have my cold? They seem unaffected by it though. There was no pellet powder in their hutch last night so it's not that. What do you think it is?

They can't catch human colds, so they are either allergic to something (which is unlikely for them both to have the same allergy) or they have an infection - I would take them to the vets for antibiotics - also check the inside of their front paws for dried snot as often they wipe it all off and look fine otherwise. Hope they are OK :shock:

they had their myxi vacs on wednesday so hopefully, it's just from that. I don't want to go to the vet and pay a lot of money for him to say it's nothing and make me look silly.

Do keep an eye on it though - yellow crusting beneath the nose can also be a symptom of syphillis, which they can pick up from their mum at birth. If it persists I'd say it does need a trip to the vet - syphillis sounds very alarming but it's not as bad as it sounds, it's just a weekly penicillin injection for 3 weeks and that usually solves it, especially if caught early.

Hopefully it's just a little stress reaction to the myxi vaccine but like I say - do keep a close eye on it and if there are any runny noses/wiping nose on paws etc, then probably best to pop them to the vet for a check over.

yeah. The problem is that it's only there in the early morning and by about 8:00am, it's gone, with just slight yellow colouration around the nostrils. I can't go to the vet with nothing there to diagonse.

Back