• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Looking after other buns...

norrielian

Mama Doe
A friend and I who currently live in the same village look after each other's rabbits when we are away. It was never a problem leaving them at their home as we were close by but they are moving next month and we thought it would be easier for whoever is looking after them if they are at the person's house.

I have plenty of spare fencing so can easily set up a pen for my friends rabbits in our garage. Do you think this will cause my rabbits distress if they can smell and see other rabbits in their terriority?

Thanks
Lian

A friend and I who currently live in the same village look after each other's rabbits when we are away. It was never a problem leaving them at their home as we were close by but they are moving next month and we thought it would be easier for whoever is looking after them if they are at the person's house.

I have plenty of spare fencing so can easily set up a pen for my friends rabbits in our garage. Do you think this will cause my rabbits distress if they can smell and see other rabbits in their terriority?

Thanks
Lian

If your Rabbits can see/smell the 'visitors' your Rabbits may fight with *each other*, (Refered aggression)
If you have other Buns come to stay its best they are kept well out of sight and smell range from your Buns

Janex

My lot went bananas when I looked after a collegue's rabbits, even though I had them quite a long way away.

In the end I had to put the visitors at the end of my garden and cover their run with sacking so that they could not be seen. Having the other rabbits was a complete pain for a fortnight, I even had to change my clothes in between sets of rabbits.

I looked after a work collegue's rabbit recently and I had him in the lounge as my buns are in the kitchen and spare room. I didn't have any problems really, just had to remember to change my clothes but I have to do that anyway between seeing to my lot!

Nicola

Back